Sign in to follow this  
mossline

4:3 to 16:9 screen update on E39

Hi everyone, ive just got myself a widescreen display for my E39.

However, once its plugged in, sounds come through fine but the screen is flickering and after thorough searching of forums i havent found a solution. Ive tried unplugging the battery etc etc but to no avail.

My car is a 1996, it has TV and radio but no Nav. It used to but one of the previous owners must have pulled it out.

Everything worked fine with the smaller screen setup but now it wont stop flickering. TV and radio work ok but through a flickering screen....

What do i need to do? Will it just be a case of updating the TV module or is this going to be a nightmare and I should just got back to my old smaller screen?

Also I have for my ipod to work I have the "poor mans ipod setup" rigged which works a dream. Except now when I put the empty tape into the widescreen display it plays for a few seconds (like 20) then goes silent again. As soon as I switch modes and come back into tape, it plays again but for only 20 secs before going back to being silent.

Arghhh!!!!!!

Anyway, long post, anyone have any ideas pointers? or had the same problems?

Thanks in a advance.

Chris

is it displaying in the widescreen format? (regardless of flickering)

if its the original 1996 video module you will defiantly need to upgrade that also ... the older ones are 4:3 only not the widescreen 16:9

No it only shows in the smaller format....

is it displaying in the widescreen format? (regardless of flickering)

if its the original 1996 video module you will defiantly need to upgrade that also ... the older ones are 4:3 only not the widescreen 16:9

No it only shows in the smaller format....

in that case you defiantly need a new video module

Chris,

As above - it needs a later model VM (version 3, 2000>) which supports both 4:3 & 16:9 format.

When you were conversing with me a while back regarding this upgrade, I was going to supply you both units to upgrade.

Edit: You still need a reversing camera too...

Edited by hotwire

Cheers Matt!,

Grant I'll PM you...

Chris,

As above - it needs a later model VM (version 3, 2000>) which supports both 4:3 & 16:9 format.

When you were conversing with me a while back regarding this upgrade, I was going to supply you both units to upgrade.

Edit: You still need a reversing camera too...

What do i need to do? Will it just be a case of updating the TV module or is this going to be a nightmare and I should just got back to my old smaller screen?

It is definitely the old 1996 pre-war video module that is the culprit.

Swap it for a new shiny post 2001 video module, which supports widescreen monitors, 5.1 surround sound, Dobly thanks, subwoofers, 3D, and AppleTV. *

* Some features supported only when dreaming

Also I have for my ipod to work I have the "poor mans ipod setup" rigged which works a dream. Except now when I put the empty tape into the widescreen display it plays for a few seconds (like 20) then goes silent again. As soon as I switch modes and come back into tape, it plays again but for only 20 secs before going back to being silent.

The empty tape needs to be turning both spools. If one spool turns and one spool stops, then the tape mech thinks the tape is at the end and switches off.

Why not just cable the iPod to the CD changer audio lines, and then play any CD, but switch the audio to the iPod?

Much better sound quality, much less hassles, and it looks nicer.

And of course, get a Mk4 nav fitted, you'll love using the nav

Edited by jochen

Well I tried to hook up at DICe duo ipod thing through the CD changer line in the boot and it played for about 10 seconds then the screen on the ipod would go blank and the music stop. Id have to cycle through the inputs again to get the music back and for only 10 secs before it did the blank screen, music off thing.

Any ideas on that one? Very bizarre....

Me and the guy really had no idea what was going on but it wouldnt work past 10 or so seconds so hence the current setup.

Maybe i'll try another empty tape but with an elastic band rigged round the spools and see if that works....

Swap it for a new shiny post 2001 video module, which supports widescreen monitors, 5.1 surround sound, Dobly thanks, subwoofers, 3D, and AppleTV. *

The empty tape needs to be turning both spools. If one spool turns and one spool stops, then the tape mech thinks the tape is at the end and switches off.

Why not just cable the iPod to the CD changer audio lines, and then play any CD, but switch the audio to the iPod?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds ?

When I put my DICE unit in it did strange things till I did that.

I think the iBus needs to 'see' it and reset ?

No we didnt, but probably should have.... Didnt think of that at the time...

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds ?

When I put my DICE unit in it did strange things till I did that.

I think the iBus needs to 'see' it and reset ?

If you're having trouble with your DICE unit PM me

Edited by Gadgetman

Jochen forgot about Bluray , but it can be covered , as can DD/DTS 4.1 Audio with a few xtra bits & $$$.

Will post details once it's built.

VM Module 2 is the start

Hey guys i have a e38 mkiii navigation system with 16:9 screen. I upgraded the software where its shows the bmw logo when the doors are opened.

Recently the screen would all of a sudden flicker a bit on and off..

now the screen has gone back to really scrappy graphics

no navigation option anymore.

cannot eject the navigation cd out of the unit from the back.

displays OBD stuff fine though.

i have checked the navigation unit at the back has power and spins but doesnt spit the cd out.

any ideas?

Edited by Barracuda

Hey guys i have a e38 mki navigation i upgraded the software where its shows the bmw logo when the doors are opened.

Recently the screen would all of a sudden flicker a bit on and off..

now the screen has gone back to really scrappy graphics

no navigation option anymore.

cannot eject the navigation cd out of the unit from the back.

displays OBD stuff fine though.

i have checked the navigation unit at the back has power and spins but doesnt spit the cd out.

any ideas?

Mk1 nav? That's the first generation unit. Could be a crook nav unit or as mentioned above - disconnect the battery & see if it resets

yeh sorry man my bad its actually a mkiii with 16:9 screen. yeh so even the sc id getting stuck but even so why would the navigation system not work?

Mk1 nav? That's the first generation unit. Could be a crook nav unit or as mentioned above - disconnect the battery & see if it resets

yeh sorry man my bad its actually a mkiii with 16:9 screen. yeh so even the sc id getting stuck but even so why would the navigation system not work?

sc id???

Why won't the nav work?? - Maybe crook unit as I said

Also, Mk3 units can be temperamental. If the graphics have changed, it sounds like it has reverted to video module graphics (due to nav not operating)

1, Have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset? N.B. WAIT until the nav unit has powered down BEFORE disconnecting.

2, Mk3's will be corrupted if using the incorrect mode SW disc

3, Depending on which version it had against what you have upgraded to - it may need unlocking with a key CD

Edited by hotwire

The nav unit in the boot has failed

The TV tuner detected no response from the nav, and took over generating the graphics

Likely causes for nav failure: corrosion through water damage (take covers off and look for any corrosion signs)

Easiest repair: replace old Mk3 with a newer Mk4 nav and enjoy a much better nav system - faster, better graphics, 3D view, and customisable.

Thanks guys i think you are actually right.

Because now i can see that the tv is running in color mode before it was black and white when nav was working.

so the nav unit at the back can be diagnosed as STUFFED even though

i can hear it spinning the disk and its trying to eject ?

Ah also and no power lights.

Ill actually try to unplug from battery and check.

BTW guys i wont have to worry about recoding the computer or anything on e38s if i disconnect battery right?

thannks will get back after i try your suggestions.

Yes the unit could be crook but still spinning the disc.

If it has no power light illuminating (LED) then it is definitely crook.

No, nothing to worry about as far as programming when disconnecting the battery.

PM me if you have queries