Sign in to follow this  
Flow

Hello Bimmersport

Hello everyone!

I am very glad to have found this place. You guys seem to have a great thing going here.

I have been looking for a solid, competent touring car for some of my open road missions. Initially I was looking at Lexus GS 300s and Audi S4s untill a friend sugested I look at a BMW 540i. I am so greatful that he did. The others are nice cars but NOTHING drives quite like a good BMW. There is something magical going on there. I just fell in love with it and as of yesterday I am now the proud owner of an NZ new 540i M with 54ks on the clock and I just can't fault it. I have to take my hat off to David Shacklady from Giltrap Prestige for finding it for me, he really kicked a goal there. It even has the folding rear seats that I was struggling to find.

I would like to keep it reasonably original but I probably wont be able to help myself in some areas like the sound system. I am certainly open to suggestions. :)

I look forward to talking with you all in the future.

Fond Regards

Jason Williams

post-16081-1322949130.jpg

post-16081-1322949226.jpg

post-16081-1322949371.jpg

Hi Jason ,

Welcome to Bimmersport! Very nice example of a NZ New 540i Motorsport. E39's really are taking over; I myself have recently bought a 530i Motorsport and absolutely love it!

May I suggest a reverse camera and perhaps the Msport steering wheel?

Cheers,

Derek

That is an msport steering wheel, just has wood trim instead of the silver. No?

That is an msport steering wheel, just has wood trim instead of the silver. No?

no msport has solid bottom spoke and thumb knobs.

That looks like another great 540i Jason!

I've also driven the GS300 / Aristo Twin Turbos... nice cars, but for handling and style the 540i wins hands down.

Thanks guys.

I finaly managed to figure out how to set the time and turn off the DSC and had some fun in the wet on my local hill climb today ;)

From one new e39 540 owner to another, that is a nice example you have there, i haven't seen may with the phones still installed.

Oh, I actually like the look of those better.

Have a read of you manual, you'll find heaps of useful things in there.

If its not nz new, here's a link http://www.bmwtips.com/OwnersManuals/manuals.htm

If you hold the dsc button in for about 10 seconds it allows a little more slip, think it turns the throttle control off but abs still active.

My favourite is the remote window down/up on the remote, works great if the cars been in the sun all day and as you walk towards it hold unlock and they all open.

Oh and flashing the high beams when the cars off is helpful to find the front door lock at night.

Good tips guys!

I'll try the partial dsc tomorrow morning. I didn't know the abs was turned off as well... I used the windows and sunroof open trick after an afternoon at the beach yesterday. These are very thoughtful cars. I have been slowly making my way through the manual and amiring the service history. Having a searchable pdf version is helpful thanks Shane. One of the keys has the parking assistance programed for the left wing mirror while the other one dosn't. I haven't figured out how to change this yet. One thing Mr dog and lemon did say that was actually useful is that there are lot of 'hidden' features with these cars so I will keep doing the home work.

Thanks for the kind words Chad. Yours looks beautiful as well... wanna swap bumpers? ;) I actually used the bat phone today! Couldn't do predictave text but the hands free was all good untill I had to enter an extension...

I'm currenly reading up on audio upgrades. It sure would be nice to have a fully functioning, fully intergrated, Hi Fi, NZ Nav ready, Aux in capable head unit.

If it is easy do you could explain how to program pathway lights Shane? And how on earth did you get your self a red one?

The light feature works like this... (easiest way to explain)

Park car

Turn lights off

Turn car off

Flash high beams

And they'll stay on for about 30 seconds I think.

Not sure about the key thing however, I thought the left mirror dipped so long as the mirror selector was in the right position? I think key programming was only via dealerships or maybe one of the sponsors here can do it?

Think the key stores separate seat memory positions too?

I'd look into the dynavin unit, as far as upgrades go, look at swautomotive on here.

Was very lucky to find an imola rot, that sealed the deal for me.

As well as being owned by a bmw mechanic.

Before mine I'd only seen one in about 1-2 years, a 535 in welly that was one trademe forever.

But now 2 530 are on trademe at the moment.

Actually about to sell it, when work isn't so crazy and I get a day off.

Really need a wagon, was hoping for an e39 msport wagon but pretty hard to find one.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Shane you are right about the reversing mirror.

This is what I'm thinking of doing so far:

Nav upgrade thanks for the PM Hotwire

Aux in not sure weather to use the video port or a DICE conection

Speaker upgrade something like this http://bavariansoundwerks.com/product/380/...39-5-Series-M5/

Hi Jason & welcome.

I've upgraded the stereo in my e39 and did it using the bavsoundwerks youtube guides and a mix of high end speakers and DICE input to retain the factory look.

You don't need to pay bavsound prices to get the sound if you have some basic skills.

I've upgraded to 6.5" Precision Power components both front and rear utilising the factory speaker positions,

x-overs, midrange tweeters and wiring.

DICE ipod interface allows steering wheel control over all my music. sound is exceptional.

All the work was pretty straight forward, remove interior, make customwood speaker rings to allow for the much larger speakers, reassemble.

The bonus with this way is for a smaller price than the bavsound speakers I was able to get a 6.5" driver.

They largest driver they use is still 5.25".

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Welcome mate..great looker.

e39s will soon rule !!!

Hi Jason & welcome.

I've upgraded the stereo in my e39 and did it using the bavsoundwerks youtube guides and a mix of high end speakers and DICE input to retain the factory look.

You don't need to pay bavsound prices to get the sound if you have some basic skills.

I've upgraded to 6.5" Precision Power components both front and rear utilising the factory speaker positions,

x-overs, midrange tweeters and wiring.

DICE ipod interface allows steering wheel control over all my music. sound is exceptional.

All the work was pretty straight forward, remove interior, make customwood speaker rings to allow for the much larger speakers, reassemble.

The bonus with this way is for a smaller price than the bavsound speakers I was able to get a 6.5" driver.

They largest driver they use is still 5.25".

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Sorry to hijack the post, but have you looked into amplifying the setup with an aftermarket amp? This would be my first audio upgrade as someone has already played around with the speakers in my e39 (by adding new speakers and subsequently shorting out the cabling, urgh) so the amp is the next point of business for me. Also how much was the dice ipod setup, and how does this compare to cheaper alternatives seen on trademe?

I did start looking at an aftermarket AMP but with DSP, wiring and amp selection started becoming quite a mission.

I decided to upgrade the speakers and see what it sounded like.

I did already have the M audio package which has a half decent AMP to power the two OEM 10" subs.

What I found is that adding an additional AMP whist will provide some additional adjust-ability and punch really wasn't warranted as I never turn it up that loud and the sound quality was pretty darn good IMO.

I can't remember what the DICE unit cost, nor could I compare to cheaper units I have not used.

What I can say is I purchased off Richard on this forum (Gadgetman - www.gadgets4u.co.nz) his support was exceptional and I couldn't be happier with the unit.

Everything is controllable off the steeringwheel and the song info comes up either on the main screen or as I have it set to the OBC screen on the dash.

Thanks for asking the question Chad. I have the standard audio so with out the M package amps I may be doing a bit more wiring. Thanks for all your PMs Darren. I'm looking forward to checking out your work next time I'm down in Welly.

Hi Folks,

I am probably about to buy a 2012 C63 (yes apologies in advance) so I am thinking about selling and wondering what she might be worth.

Some of you will know how ridiculously anal I have been with this car but for those that don't know the history there are a few highlights below off the top of my head.

It is either keep it for the wife or on sell. I have put so much time and love into her I would actually prefer she went to someone that was keen and able to continue to enjoy and take care of her. The car that is not the wife!

I am sure I am going to have my head in the next project as I try to get a proper 540hp out of the C63 and make it go around corners so I wont be able to continue to take care of her like I should.

Let me know if this might be a good fit for someone. If so I'll roll up a proper for sale thread.

NZ new 130ks, almost all open road driving during my 75k stewardship.

Extras:

Bilstiens

Eibach anti-roll bars

Ground Control camber plates.

HD thust arm bushes

M5 engine mounts

M3 gearbox mounts

M5 drive train coupling

SS brake hoses.

Motul 660 brake fluid

NOT lowered. Looks completely stock.

Every suspension arm has been replaced front and rear.

Michelin PS3s

Factory detachable tow bar.

Mediabridge Bluetooth

Preventative maintenance:

15 oil changes on Motul 8100 every 5ks, Hengst filters.

Two trans flushes Motul ATF1 and ZF LifeGuard 5

Diff, P/S oil and filter done, of course Motul fully synthetic.

A/C filter replaced and re-gassed.

All cooling hoses including heater hoses replaced

Radiator and coolant tank replaced, Motul orgainic coolant.

Sensors replaced: MAF, O2 (all four) CPS

Vanos seals

Timing chains guides,

Water pump

PCV valve

Valley pan

Injectors ultrasonically cleaned

Fuel filter

Ignition switch

Most power relays

Iridium spark plugs

Door and boot seals

Had the front resprayed to remove the stone chips from all the open road driving.

Zimmermann brake rotors and stoptech pads. Have a spare set of front drilled rotors and Hawk HPS pads as well.

Basically everything that goes wrong with the e39s has been taken care of.

It would be nice if who ever buys it fixes the display pixels though...

Everything genuine BMW including the windscreen wipers.

Fixes:

Fan controller

New battery

Edited by Flow