Sign in to follow this  
fred_

NZTA Letter of Acceptance? Importing M3 From UK

The Agent I am dealing with in NZ has told me It's fine to import my E92 M3 into the country but....

He's just said....

Thank you – I have checked you vehicle with the NZTA and they have said it will be OK to import into NZ. It will require a NZTA Approval letter. We can order this for you so that there in no delay in compliance – the Letter costs 240.00 NZD plus GST let me know if you want me to order the letter for you.

This letter is need for compliance. Your vehicle details are not recognized by NZTA so they have to apply for an acceptance from the manufacture. We have to get these letters for 60% of the vehicles that come in from the UK. You can wait until the vehicle is at compliance or I can order now at then it is done!

Could anyone confirm this is accurate? And is 240NZD a standard charge?

Thanks in Advance.

Alex

Edited by leebske

The Agent I am dealing with in NZ has told me It's fine to import my E92 M3 into the country but....

He's just said....

Thanks in Advance.

Alex

All vehicles coming into NZ must have a Certificate of Compliance (COC) however usually this comes from the manufacturer not NZTA, and lists things such as its Euro compliance, fuel econ etc.. However sounds like NZTA also issues these which is odd, as doesnt that mean that the NZTA issues you a certificate to give back to itself..

We got one for free from BMW in the UK prior to shipping over here as to get one here was from memory around $300 from BMW in NZ.

All vehicles coming into NZ must have a Certificate of Compliance (COC) however usually this comes from the manufacturer not NZTA, and lists things such as its Euro compliance, fuel econ etc.. However sounds like NZTA also issues these which is odd, as doesnt that mean that the NZTA issues you a certificate to give back to itself..

We got one for free from BMW in the UK prior to shipping over here as to get one here was from memory around $300 from BMW in NZ.

These were my exact thoughts.

What did you ask BMW UK for exactly and did you mind providing the best contact at BMW for this?

What did you ask BMW UK for exactly and did you mind providing the best contact at BMW for this?

My brother in the UK sorted it for me and was through his dealership so i didnt actually do it myself, I think he just emailed them, mine was possibly free as the car was only 6 months old, not sure.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/cservices...10207__,00.html

My brother in the UK sorted it for me and was through his dealership so i didnt actually do it myself, I think he just emailed them, mine was possibly free as the car was only 6 months old, not sure.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/cservices...10207__,00.html

I've got the details of my local dealer where the car was purchased so I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Thanks Heaps.

My importer tried exactly the same thing with me reckoned I needed this letter for $240, but I had already spoken to the local compliance guy and got the paperwork he wanted, so politely declined their offer.

You would need to ask BMW Uk for the "Certificate of Compliance" or "CofC" for short. It's a double sided A4 sheet which lists all the EU regulations the vehicle conforms to in detail, specifically emissions levels. Got mine free from BMW after ringing their customer services centre.

My importer tried exactly the same thing with me reckoned I needed this letter for $240, but I had already spoken to the local compliance guy and got the paperwork he wanted, so politely declined their offer.

You would need to ask BMW Uk for the "Certificate of Compliance" or "CofC" for short. It's a double sided A4 sheet which lists all the EU regulations the vehicle conforms to in detail, specifically emissions levels. Got mine free from BMW after ringing their customer services centre.

Perfect :)

Just what I needed to hear.

Did you go with McCullough?

So are they euro 4 spec and which number did you ring I tried both on the website

You have to send an email to eccoc@bmw.co.uk

It is an established email for requests of COCs.

Give the details of your vehicle and they will send your COC to you free of charge.

they will also confirm or deny your Euro 4 status on whether the 2005 M3 you have in question meets this.

He's just said....

Thanks in Advance.

Alex

Are all E46 M3's compliant to import fromthe UK?

Rules change of 1st Jan, so anything arriving after that date must meet the higher standards. I'm pretty sure the E46 M3 DOES NOT meet the new standards.

Rules change of 1st Jan, so anything arriving after that date must meet the higher standards. I'm pretty sure the E46 M3 DOES NOT meet the new standards.

Correct!! If your E46 M3 isn't complied before 1/1/12 then you are out of luck as it will not be road legal.

Correct!! If your E46 M3 isn't complied before 1/1/12 then you are out of luck as it will not be road legal.

A couple of questions:

1. Assume this applies to the pre and post facelift E46?

2. Isnt there an exemption for limited production factory models? Does the M3 have a precent here?

Pretty sure NONE of the E46 (FL or not) will comply the new rules.

e46 M3 are not rare enough to have a exempt. The CSL might be, but don't quote me on this.

Pretty sure NONE of the E46 (FL or not) will comply the new rules.

e46 M3 are not rare enough to have a exempt. The CSL might be, but don't quote me on this.

Oh well, will have to get it WOF'ed under the Motorsport exemption, as my plan is to cage it for targa etc.

PS. Have not looked into this in detail, but underderstand its acheivable.

You would be best to check this out before you bring the car over.

I'm not 100% but I think that the car won't be able to be WoF'd under any category as it won't be able to get through compliance. You will still be able to use it as a purely race car, but not as a road legal race car. The Motorsport exemption only applies to cars which are road legal, but have cages, etc.