Sign in to follow this  
kiwiland

Air conditioning fan playing up

Drive a 2001 E39 530i with automatic air conditioning.

Yesterday went to start the car and nothing, only a faint glimmer on an internal light.

Checked the battery and found 8.2 volts - battery stuffed!

Got it replaced and found the dud battery was stamped for Sept. 2001. Congratulated myself on getting 10 years life out of the original battery. Then happened to pass through the garage in dead of night and heard the aircon blower fan "cycling" 3 seconds on then 5 secs off. Car was in sleep mode and no way could I stop it. Seems to have stopped this morning but who knows when it will start up again.

My question is:-If I set the fan speed (with the +/- button) right down to the minimum point when the display lights on the aircon panel go out will this isolate the fan from starting up by itself while I sort out a solution?

Estimate of costs to supply and fit a replacement FSR?

Advice gratefully accepted

If it is the final stage resistor Pelican has them one at $59 and OEM at $77.50 US or try Gavin at Euro-Italian. To fit it is a 10 minute job a bit tight but easy enough to do.

Cheers

John, 10 yrs is about the norm for OEM original battery, had the same from mine & seen many others of similar age through work. Replaced one in an E36 a few yrs ago that was OEM & 14 yrs old.

Re fan: Check that you haven't got the auto fan on prgrammed to turn on. If it is, it will show the little red fan light in the edge of the monitor. If so - go into ventilation set mode & turn it off

I had issues with my fan either not working or stuck on full a couple of months ago. I concluded that the FSR was most likely at fault but before getting a replacement, I decided to find out where in the car it was. After achieving that, it was easy enough to take the FSR out, clean up the contacts, and put it back in. Has worked OK ever since.

BTW I am in Kuwait at the moment. (last day today). Plenty of BMWs over here but nothing on the road over 5 years old. I asked what happened to the old ones. It seems there are heaps parked out in the desert and buying spares is easy. Had it all arranged for this afternoon but ran out of time. Im pissed about that but there will be other chances to get there I hope.

If it is the final stage resistor Pelican has them one at $59 and OEM at $77.50 US or try Gavin at Euro-Italian. To fit it is a 10 minute job a bit tight but easy enough to do.

Cheers