Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Removing 4:3 TV Monitor

Yesterday I purchased an old Jap Import E39 528i, has 97,000ks on the clock, a bit rough around the edges. but I got it for $4000 and its a bit of a project for me.

It has the old style Video Monitor, that's got a nasty line through it and only allows me to get 1 radio station (no Band expander), the TV doesn't seem to find any channels even when set to Austria etc, so its time for it to go.

The car is missing its CD Changer also, I can only listen to 88.9 Canterbury FM for so long.

I am looking at replacing this factory unit with a Head unit Fitting kit + normal single din head unit with USB etc.

It seems to me that most of the workings for the stereo are in the boot.. so I assume this will make installing a normal head unit more of a challenge? or is it as simple as any other install?

Pictured is the TV and what I assume to be a factory amp.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes it is more involve to replace with a DIN radio - as you say - all the units are in the boot. The monitor is just a dumby with a tape deck.

Probably in this case it would be best to fit a new Dynavin. It will fit straight into the front BUT unlike a non monitor car, it will need a loom run to the rear to connect into the OEM radio wiring

Edit: The pic you show is the amp, the video module & radio tuners are mounted behind the bulges in the trim on the rear seat

Edited by hotwire