Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Dave

E39 Seat Belts

Hi All

Have a 2001 E39 touring and the rear center seat belt tensioner has locked on and wont release. I just cant see how to get the seat apart so that I can try and fix the tensioner.

Any ideas are welcomed. (I have just arrived back in country and am jetlagged and 10 hours out of timezone so I might be missing the obvious)

Regards Dave

I had the exact same problem. You need to check that when the seat is folded UP that it is clicking back into place properly and that nothing is obstructing the clip latching to the fastening bolt.

I tore the entire seat apart in mine, got the seatbelt working, put it all back together only to discover it not working again. But with an understanding of how it worked I saw that the clip was in fact not latching properly even though it sounded like it was. :rolleyes:

Anymore problems just reply and I can assist you with tearing the back seat apart, which was a nightmare.

Awesome thanks, I had discovered that when the seat was not latched, that the belt would lock. Quite a clever safety design, but a pain when it goes wrong.

I did not figure out how this worked, because the seat seems to be locking into place just fine.

I will have another look later (It is 4am now - isn't jetlag wonderful) but I still have this feeling that it might be a seat teardown.

I will let you know

Cheers Dave

I had the exact same problem. You need to check that when the seat is folded UP that it is clicking back into place properly and that nothing is obstructing the clip latching to the fastening bolt.

I tore the entire seat apart in mine, got the seatbelt working, put it all back together only to discover it not working again. But with an understanding of how it worked I saw that the clip was in fact not latching properly even though it sounded like it was. :rolleyes:

Anymore problems just reply and I can assist you with tearing the back seat apart, which was a nightmare.

So the anti burst lock on the seat seems to be locking just fine. The seat seems to lock back into place correctly and I can manually flip the lock over when the seat is forward and everything seems to work OK, except the belt is still locked tight.

So it seems I will be doing a seat teardown. Those pointers on where to start with this task (or even the whole task) would now be appreciated.

Cheers Dave

Awesome thanks, I had discovered that when the seat was not latched, that the belt would lock. Quite a clever safety design, but a pain when it goes wrong.

I did not figure out how this worked, because the seat seems to be locking into place just fine.

I will have another look later (It is 4am now - isn't jetlag wonderful) but I still have this feeling that it might be a seat teardown.

I will let you know

Cheers Dave