Sign in to follow this  
life-fit@nz11.com

URGENT BMW MECHANIC REQUIRED CHCH

I have the earliest e36 model with the 4 cylinder m40 engine 318i

My fan assembly bearing collapsed and fan came off and has bent busted or warped water pump bearing/assembly itself

Can i just replace the water pump in place or do i HAVE to do water pump, cambelt etc all at the same time

Anyone able to fix it for me ??

URGENT as daughter will be here as of Jan 1st and I need to A) pick her up form Hornby and B) drive her to places we have got events planned for

Thanks

Will

(Waltham)

Is your regular repairer not open on Wednesday ? I googled "European Auto Services in CHCH" There seems to be quite a few down there that might be able to help you.

When was the cambelt last done?...M40 motors have to have their cambelts replaced every 40,000km or 5 years...whichever occurs first. If it hasn't been done it would be prudent to do it with the water pump and replace the thermostat and any perished drive belts as well

Is your regular repairer not open on Wednesday ? I googled "European Auto Services in CHCH" There seems to be quite a few down there that might be able to help you.

When was the cambelt last done?...M40 motors have to have their cambelts replaced every 40,000km or 5 years...whichever occurs first. If it hasn't been done it would be prudent to do it with the water pump and replace the thermostat and any perished drive belts as well

Holy crap - 40,000kms - i'll be doing it every year!!!!!!

Right - new water pump only then and sell i think!!!

Holy crap - 40,000kms - i'll be doing it every year!!!!!!

Right - new water pump only then and sell i think!!!

If you don't do it, you'll have very little to sell. The M40 engines are not the most popular in the E36's either

If you don't do it, you'll have very little to sell. The M40 engines are not the most popular in the E36's either

40,000 KMS or 40,000 MILES????

40,000Kms seems ridiculously few kms to have to change the cambelt at - most people even doing round town short trips would do that every 2 years!!!

What is the manufacturers recommending replacement ...

Edited by 92e36will

What is the manufacturers recommending replacement ...

40,000km or 5 years...whichever occurs first.... km=kilometer

Why such a short lifespan

Not sure.. I just repair them... M20's are 60km or 5 years... It will be a design requirement.. Most other cars are around a 100k with a few Euro exceptions. Ducati's are 20km

Edited by *Glenn*

Why such a short lifespan - especially considering EVERY other can is minimum 80,000kms ....

In layman's terms....

M40's are rubbish.

Eurorec Ltd

65 McAlpine St

Sockburn

Christchurch

Ph : 03-3416678

Good sorts reasonably priced

Bit late now..his daughter arrives tomorrow...hope he got it sorted or got a rental.... daughters are very special

Bit late now..his daughter arrives tomorrow...hope he got it sorted or got a rental.... daughters are very special

Yea.. might be good for people searching in the future