Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Rear Windows

both my rear windows dont work.......they are getting power (the switch is lit) but neither of them go down, either at the drivers control or the rear passengers....no kiddie locks or anything are on

any ideas? motors could be dead, but slightly suspicious that they both dont work

The rear window lock switch could be the problem. Why don't you take the door cards off and hook the battery up directly to the window motors to test them?

have you put a multimeter on the wires at the motor so you know for sure they are getting power? Any noise, like a click or something like that? Just seems that if it was the motors at least one would make some sort of movement/noise.

well i could..but the lock switch (small square one) unilluminates them when its pressed, and illuminates when its back off....so i presume that it works.

cant hear anything coming from motors...having said that i havnt had a serious looksie, just wondering if its something common

My right rear is the same Gus. You can hear the clicking if you sit in the back. The motors seize up a bit if they are not used. Got air-con, the windows only get used to shout abuse or go through drive throughs. Will take it apart someday and fix.

air con doesnt work so its getting the boot......i know my rear passengers are gonna want to yell abuse sometime in the near future....its for their sake, not mine. LCD screen mint, cheers cain!

I too, Suffer from rear window not working properly syndrome.

Like you, My case was diagnosed at a young age in the cars ownership - two days to be exact. Rear windows work from the centre console, but rear switches on door cards don't do anything, they are lit up though.

Motor seized in the 318i on the drivers side, would come to life again after some playing around with an allen key - then it stopped again. (Another 'feature' that some dude paid $600 at auction for my written off car..)