Sign in to follow this  
jay^

Any Photography buffs out there ?

Have got a couple of things coming up this year that warrant the ownership of a decent DSLR.

Just looking for some reccomendations on brand / model and perhaps a good source of info on lens info ( f-stop etc etc).

Looking to spend up to $1000 - happy to buy second hand in good condition.

What i want it for is mostly decent outdoor shots, often landscape at decent range, with the ability to still cope with mid range.

Initially i just want a body and 1 lens - something that will be a good everyday starting point.

Cheers !

Have got a couple of things coming up this year that warrant the ownership of a decent DSLR.

Just looking for some reccomendations on brand / model and perhaps a good source of info on lens info ( f-stop etc etc).

What i want it for is mostly decent outdoor shots, often landscape at decent range, with the ability to still cope with mid range.

Initially i just want a body and 1 lens - something that will be a good everyday starting point.

Cheers !

Hi, I would recommend a Nikon D200. These have been superceded by the D300, so second hand they represent excellent value. I use one, and it is a great camera. If you do get one, I could possibly help with a lens as I have one or two spare.

Canon 550D with an 18-200mm lense.

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=560155

By far the best bang for buck.

Cheers !

Just 50% over my budget :(

Im looking at 1000D (canon) vs D3000(nikon) - from what im reading these probably fit the bill for my skill level ( low) and budget and use requirements.

Leaning towards the Canon at this stage.

I've got a Canon 550D and I love it, would definately recommend.

You could just go with the standard kit lens: http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=560156

Then you have $92 left for a memory card and bag

I would definately go for the 550D over an 1000D

Edited by sascha

I've got a Canon 550D and I love it, would definately recommend.

You could just go with the standard kit lens: http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=560156

Then you have $92 left for a memory card and bag

I would definately go for the 550D over an 1000D

I'm with sascha here! I have a 550D and I'm absolutely stoked with it. If you are ok with second hand you may be able to pick up an EOS 500D for cheaper, AFAIK that's basically just the old model of the 550D.

The biggest reason to go for Canon over Nikon is the availability and price of extras, eg UV filters, hoods, lenses etc. From what I've seen Canon tends to have more range, better support and slightly better pricing.

Anything other than Canon or Nikon would be pointless IMHO, as the support for any other brand is practically non-existant.

Trademe is now flooded with used newish camera just after the holidays.

I am a Nikon man, for your price you can get a D3100 kit. Try get something with a 18-105 lens if you can. Much more versatile than a standard 18-55 lens.

If you go with Canon, then their 17-85 is a nice upgrade over their standard lens.

Lens is more important the the body and unlike the body, they tends to keep their value.

Trademe is now flooded with used newish camera just after the holidays.

I am a Nikon man, for your price you can get a D3100 kit. Try get something with a 18-105 lens if you can. Much more versatile than a standard 18-55 lens.

If you go with Canon, then their 17-85 is a nice upgrade over their standard lens.

Lens is more important the the body and unlike the body, they tends to keep their value.

all the models are confusing there must be 20 models between canon and nikon alone(dslrs)

I recommend the Sony A33, which you can get for your budget, and is a good DSLR base. You can buy the camera body only then find a suitable lense, secondhand to reduce cost if need be. You will then have endless models and makers of lenses to choose from and find the one you want.

Thanks everyone - yep still wanting to stick with Canon and through further reading have moved on from the 1000D haha.

Looking at either 550D or a second hand 40D - its my understanding that the 30/40D is a more robust body ?

Either way - the information re lens's is most appreciated - i was sort of over looking body only auctions but will re-look at those now.

Thanks !

More robust body yes - but 550D has higher res MP + full HD video.

If you are looking at a 40D I would suggest moving up to a 50 or 60D instead - much better.

Edited by Josh_

ahh ok good well that pretty much solves it then - 550D it is :D

In case you need convincing... 550D with 55-200mm zoom lense. (I got the twin lense kit with 18-55 and 55-200).

post-3253-1326333319.jpg

(High Res looks even better).

Ps. I am nowhere near a pro. First time shooting bikes.

if your looking for something with more flexibility i have a sony NEX 5 twin lens

comes with 16mm lens and 18-55mm lens

does everything a dslr does but in the size of a compact,

in its favor it does full HD video recording with seamless focusing while recording

i took mine to europe and was really great very versatile and easy to use without looking like every other amateur photographer

All the following photos were taken with the 16mm lens and all are reduced to about 1/3 original resolution due to my shitty internet

This was a quick shot i took in (you may have guessed) dubai

very fast to focus on the ferrari and a quick spin of the background defocus dial bought up the lambo and bently quite nicely

Posted Image

This was a fully camera controlled shot i took with no preparation of a beautiful 635csi in amsterdam

Posted Image

This was part of a sequence using the speed priority shutter function where it focuses once and takes upwards of 12 shots a second from memory, i didnt have much time there so didnt explore any of the features designed for moving targets

Posted Image

well worth looking into as it has endless features in a fairly easy to navigate setup

I used a 30d for years and I loved it, tbh if you are just learning and have a strict budget you should spend less on the body and more on the lenses because that's were you will actually learn. the 30d is a robust and well tested body and having a couple of options with your lens will drive a better learning experience.

If you need any help with your photography or want to test out some canon gear just fire me a message.

here is what i would recommend based on your budget

canon 30d, $350ish

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photo...n-446391481.htm

with either

Canon 18-55, 90-140ish

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photo...n-447535232.htm

and

Canon 50 1.4, 500ish

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photo...n-447379489.htm

or

Sigma 17-70, 450ish

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photo...n-446002677.htm

and

50 1,8, 180ish

http://www.camera-camera.com/lenses-and-ac...-f1-8-lens.html

buy a couple of cheap memory cards (i actuall have a couple of 2gb ones you can have) and you are set.