Sign in to follow this  
OneSeventy

E46 Airbag Light Is On

Hey guys, new here.

I'm sure this topic has been covered before and I had a search for it but was unable to uncover the information I am after.

I have just bought an E46 318i and within a week or two of owning it, the airbag light is on. I know there's a tool to reset and decode what is causing the light to come on, and I'd like to buy one I guess as I presume it might happen again in future.

Does anyone know somewhere that sells them locally that is dependable and cheap? Or can anybody recommend somewhere overseas that will sell me one for a good price?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

EDIT: And I just noticed this probably could have gone in the maintenance section. Sorry!

Edited by OneSeventy

If the SRS llight is on there will be fault, which must be repaired. Turning the light off till it occurs again is not the correct or a safe proceedure. Most common fault is the passengers seat occupancy sensor or the seat belt retractor wiring looms which have now been superceeded. It would need to be scanned first. A quality scanner is note a cheap service tool to purchase.

If the SRS llight is on there will be fault, which must be repaired. Turning the light off till it occurs again is not the correct or a safe proceedure. Most common fault is the passengers seat occupancy sensor or the seat belt retractor wiring looms which have now been superceeded. It would need to be scanned first. A quality scanner is note a cheap service tool to purchase.

Fully understand that mate, but I'd like to get a scanner to work out what the issue is and get it fixed. I understand that buying a scanner can be cheaper in the long run than having issues diagnosed by a BMW serviceman.

So I'm not wanting the scanner to just clear the light. I do want to fix my car! :)

Does anyone know where I can pick up a scanner from?

EDIT: Alternatively Glenn, I'm sure you have a scanner at your business. How much would it cost to have you check my car out? You can PM me if you don't want to say on a public forum. :)

Edited by OneSeventy

Fully understand that mate, but I'd like to get a scanner to work out what the issue is and get it fixed. I understand that buying a scanner can be cheaper in the long run than having issues diagnosed by a BMW serviceman.

So I'm not wanting the scanner to just clear the light. I do want to fix my car! :)

Does anyone know where I can pick up a scanner from?

EDIT: Alternatively Glenn, I'm sure you have a scanner at your business. How much would it cost to have you check my car out? You can PM me if you don't want to say on a public forum. :)

For a PROPPER aftermarket scanner/diag sysyem like glenn has would cost you many thousands.

You can get a cheap tools like this which will give you some codes and reset things but they are not to be compared to the commercial tools and can be harmful so use at your own risk.

If you really wanted to sink some money into a tool you could get a BMW DIS setup (which is BMW software) you will need a replica diagnostic head (look on ebay $500+) and the right hardware/software to go with it.

but if your only going to get someone to do the repair for you anyway why would you bother!

Our diagnostic fee, confirmation of fault, hard copy and reset are incorporated in the repair account of fixing the fault you may have. We provide a warranty with this repair and will only use genuine or known quality paralell imported parts. We have a separate charge for people wanting to know whats wrong with their cars for someone else to fix. We quite often provide this service for regular customers, freinds and supporters of our business for free. Feel free to give me a call (09) 2722546

Edited by *Glenn*

Thanks guys. So it sounds like it is not worth buying one of these SRS tools.

I'll look into taking my car in for repair somewhere soon.

Thanks guys. So it sounds like it is not worth buying one of these SRS tools.

I'll look into taking my car in for repair somewhere soon.

I'd buy one and not listen to any advice, cos what would ^^ those guys know <_<