Sign in to follow this  
sascha

E30 Indicators

Okay so a while back my right hand side indicator stopped working. Instead of the indicators coming on, a loud buzzing noise comes from the flasher unit/relay that sits under the steering column.

I've tried replacing this with 3 different ones, and today I got a new indicator stalk with wiring loom from Ray and I hooked that up but still no luck.

I've got no idea what to check next, as far as I can see there are no plugs unplugged or broken wires.

If it helps, when it first started happening it'd happen when I went over a bump or pothole, which made me think it might be a connection that was loose and has now completely unplugged itself?

Any ideas on where to look next would be appreciated.

Btw, left side works fine.

Might be obvious but did you check the light bulb didnt blow?? Swap it to the left to check maybe. I have had similar issues in the past and it was a the plastic connector was stuffed and didnt complete the circuit properly. I would plug it back in but after a few good jolts it might come loose and again the indicator would stop working.

Edit: I think the connector was so buggered the wiring was touching.

Edited by tcbaurpower

But wouldn't that just cause it to tick at twice the normal rate?

Edit: I'll give it a go in a sec though and let you know what happens

Edit again: I tried swapping bulbs, no luck. What plastic connector are you talking about? The one in the tail lights?

Edited by sascha

My indicator that was fault was the side indicator, and have had issues with the front too. Try unplugging one or both so you can find which one is the problem.

Oh right, i don't have side indicators, only front and back. I'll try that though, thanks

E: still no luck.

I should also mention that it happens when I push the hazard lights switch too.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Edited by sascha

unplug right hand side bulbs and check with multimeter that there are no shorts in the indicator wiring? if the flasher unit was shorted out it might buzz.

Ok, narrowing down the list.

If it isnt the bulbs and it isnt the switch, fuse or relay then the wiring is seeming more likely. Follow the wiring and look for any damage, crimping, discolouring and even heat/smoke when you have them turned on. I have had buzzing before and am sure it was when the wires were shorting.

The negative is another area to check, it can be fixed tight and still cause issues if the connection surface isnt clean enough.

unplug right hand side bulbs and check with multimeter that there are no shorts in the indicator wiring? if the flasher unit was shorted out it might buzz.

I'll give that a go this weekend, cheers

Ok, narrowing down the list.

If it isnt the bulbs and it isnt the switch, fuse or relay then the wiring is seeming more likely. Follow the wiring and look for any damage, crimping, discolouring and even heat/smoke when you have them turned on. I have had buzzing before and am sure it was when the wires were shorting.

The negative is another area to check, it can be fixed tight and still cause issues if the connection surface isnt clean enough.

Fuse & relay all fine, they were the first things I checked. I've followed the wiring as far as I can without taking off the dash and can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Will double check the negative in the weekend, thanks for your help by the way.

It will be a short in the R/H circuit somewhere. Look at the extremities first - each end. I would suspect more likely front

Ahhh can't find the problem!

Anyone know a good auto electrician?

Or anyone else want to have a go?

Found the problem thanks to the boys at Mike Barlow Auto Electrical - faulty Hazard light switch!

Or voltage drop in the supply line - as confirmed.

3 months to get a simple job confirmed, would have been wise to have it checked at the start & saved frustration

Yep that's true!

Was more like a couple of days to sort it, those couple of days just happened to be spread over 3 months - the car was parked in the garage for most the time while I was travelling and working :)

But yeah in hindsight it would have been easier having a professional check it straight away.

Thanks for the help anyway guys