Sign in to follow this  
jcerecke

e39 Factory Alarm Retrofit

Been doing some research on retrofitting the factory alarm to my jap e39 touring and came across a thread jochen started saying he was doing it. Tried to PM him but his inbox is full haha.

Can anyone give me any advice? Is it worth it? There's so much out there on which years/models came prewired for alarms, but almost nothing japan specific. I don't hold out much hope that mine is prewired. Also does it matter I've got the IR remote (which I'd also like to swap for the RF one which I can't find any info on too!). Any pointers or part numbers or who to buy from would be much appreciated.

As far as changing from IRED to RF, I too wondered about that, but was told by both Jochen and Glenn that it would be more trouble than it is worth.

I am considering setting up an aftermarket RF remote unit to unlock the car via the Central lock switch in the centre consule.

Especially as I have a BMW Diamond RF key that works with the EWS in my car, after a Jeff Gray's stuff-up :)

I was thinking of getting a learning receiver and running with that.

Your problem would be you would need to carry a RF bliper as well as your old IRED key to use to start the car.

Short answer seems that Ex Jap cars are not easy to convert, so best to go aftermarket

Hrmmmm that's probably why I've found little to no information on a conversion haha. I was thinking I might add another IR eye in the back window and just parallel it up with the front one. IR's pretty simple so it should work.

From what I can tell you need to add the factory siren , tilt switch and ultrasonic sensor (if you can be bothered with the odd false trigger) and a DWS led for visual indication which is the Rearview mirror on RF based remotes .

Looks like the flashing LED connects back to the General Module so adding the possibility of wiring in your own.

From what I've read so far I'm getting the impressson that it won't matter if you have the RF or IR remote to enable / disable the alarm function, but haven't been able to confirm either way.

have a read here for the base understanding of the general module and have a read of the dws section

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/x5zkeIII.pdf

Edited by Neal