Sign in to follow this  
sam726

e34 535is Died, Battery or Alternator?

Hi there,

Last night my e34 died when i was driving it, all the lights on the dash started to dim down and the abs light came on and things continuously dimmed and electrics started to turn off until the car shut off. We roll started it and it went for another 30secs or so before doing the same again. Then we jump started it and it lasted about 1minute before doing the same again and its now stranded in remuera haha.

- Before this happened one of my belts had been slipping a few times a week, needing me to turn the car off and back on to stop the horrendous noise of the belt slipping.

- The light on the battery is still green so the battery appears to be ok.

- You can still operate the stereo, windows etc when the cars off.

- If you turn off headlights for example the dash lights become brighter.

- A few starts before the car finally carked it you could tell it was becoming harder to start

My feeling is that it would be the alternator, but also wondering whether a ground issue could cause this.

Any further advice is appreciated,

Thanks,

Sam

Edited by Sam G

Hi there,

Last night my e34 died when i was driving it, all the lights on the dash started to dim down and the abs light came on and things continuously dimmed and electrics started to turn off until the car shut off. We roll started it and it went for another 30secs or so before doing the same again. Then we jump started it and it lasted about 1minute before doing the same again and its now stranded in remuera haha.

- Before this happened one of my belts had been slipping a few times a week, needing me to turn the car off and back on to stop the horrendous noise of the belt slipping.

- The light on the battery is still green so the battery appears to be ok.

- You can still operate the stereo, windows etc when the cars off.

- If you turn off headlights for example the dash lights become brighter.

- A few starts before the car finally carked it you could tell it was becoming harder to start

My feeling is that it would be the alternator, but also wondering whether a ground issue could cause this.

Any further advice is appreciated,

Thanks,

Sam

Have you checked the 85 amp fuse? They have a habit of cracking and looking O.K. but can cause this type of problem.

Excuse me for being a bit non-mechanical but which fuse is that and where abouts is it located?

Thanks,

Just got it towed home now.

Have you checked the 85 amp fuse? They have a habit of cracking and looking O.K. but can cause this type of problem.

Reading it again it does sound like a bad voltage regulator. You can always pull it out and have a look, will be obvious if its bad

It was the alternator brushes, anybody recommend a good second hand one i can grab or anything that can be done today?

Thanks

Yeah bushes are part of the regulator