Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

who knows anything about cycling?

i brought a new (but second hand and hardly used) bike a month or so ago but i want to put disk brakes on it. I do know the difference being on a few before. anyway mine has V-brakes currently. What is involved in converting to disks? is it just a case of buying calipers and disks or do i need new hub assembly and/or wheels?

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

i brought a new (but second hand and hardly used) bike a month or so ago but i want to put disk brakes on it. I do know the difference being on a few before. anyway mine has V-brakes currently. What is involved in converting to disks? is it just a case of buying calipers and disks or do i need new hub assembly and/or wheels?

does the fork you have have disc tabs?

hmm okay so it seems that its not going to work unless i can find some sort of clip on assembly onto my current forks, or just change the forks.

Thanks for your help guys!

uhm....

pass

lol

ok after a google i assume its the two tabs at the bottom of the fork by the axle? then no...

http://images.jensonusa.com/large/fk/fk259c01_26.jpg

a new fork would be pretty easyyou would neeed at least hubs i think but you never know what you find at trade me, ebay, bike shop....,

mm sounds to me that about all i can keep off the original bike is the seat.... maybe ill just save up for a better bike.!

The other thing to consider is does the frame have mounts on it?

Nothing wrong with good V-brake setups. My old hardtail runs Avid Single Digit SL's and they are 10x better than my wifes Hayes hydraulic discs. Make sure you use good pre-stretched cables stainless (I personally use Shimano XTR) for better feel and power.