Sign in to follow this  
leithcm

E36 323i Manual Conversion

Last weekend (4 Feb) I did the job. Took the Jatco auto out and replaced it with the ZF S5D-310Z manual set up.

My son, his mate, and I did the job in 9 hours, using the hoist and transmission jack at the son's work (he is an auto electrician). The job included fitting another 3.15 diff, and while I was about it I fitted a new crankshaft oil seal.

Very first impression - just how HEAVY was that auto!! By the time all the lines, radiator, auto transmission were taken out, the car must be 50kg lighter at least!

The car itself is a completely different animal now. Just about had to re-learn how to drive it! I can now HEAR the engine getting stuck into the work, it is so responsive and damned fast off the mark! Have noticed already a significant drop in petrol consumption - previously I was getting around 12 or into the 13 litres/100 km, now down to 11.1 - and I reckon there is room to improve yet.

Just have to work on getting the ECU to think it is a manual now instead of auto - the idle is too high, the transmission warning light is on, and the engine revs hang up when changing gears.

The car interior has been fitted out with brand new leather gaitors and gear knob so all looks pretty sharp.

Very pleased with the result! :)

It will need reprogramming for the engine to behave like a typical manual one.