Sign in to follow this  
Jay 735i

Headgasket gone, fix or engine swap?

After a few random overheats and some disappearing coolant, the inevitable head gasket failure has confirmed itself with the 735 now starting and running on 4-5 cylinders for the first minute. And coolant is now disappearing much more quickly...

So, being a semi-skilled home mechanic of sorts (done a couple of engine swaps and a head gasket before) which do you reckon is the go with my situation? The prices for head bolts, gasket set etc are reasonable, but it's been years since I've had a head skimmed and tested (and don't know where in Aux to get it done), so would it be cheaper with the used engine? Anything tricky to be aware of with either option?

do the head job ,

try the

cylinder head shop

gt sth rd

takanini .

do the head job ,

try the

cylinder head shop

gt sth rd

takanini .

Sweet, that is what I was thinking, just wanted someone who actually knows what they are doing to push me in the right direction...

Thank you kind Sir...

just think of it this way, you do the head job, you know everything will be fine on the engine and know at least some of the history.

where as a second hand engine, might go to all that work, and get it running and a week later blow the head gasket in that.

isay definatly do the gasket and stick with the knowen engine