Sign in to follow this  
mossline

Radar-mirror.com

Just been reading about integrating my V1 into the rear view mirror. I have all the accessories needed to do it but wondered if anyone ahd used this guy? Lots of great reviews on other international E39 Oweners forums...

http://www.radar-mirror.com/V1.html

I wondered if anyone had actually disassembled their E39 review mirror? The guy wants $399.00USD to put the concealed V1 display unit into the headlight which seems chuffing expensive. Dont see why one couldn't do it themselves.

Guest Simon*

Pretty sure there are heaps of DIY threads for hiding a V1 install. I know I've seen a few from the states for E39's too that were pretty cool too. Guts hidden in sunroof electrics panel and display in foldout ashtray

Yeah ive seen plenty too but Ive not seen anyone do a DIY for hiding the concealed display inside the rear view mirror

Pretty sure there are heaps of DIY threads for hiding a V1 install. I know I've seen a few from the states for E39's too that were pretty cool too. Guts hidden in sunroof electrics panel and display in foldout ashtray

...wondered if anyone ahd used this guy? Lots of great reviews on other international E39 Oweners forums...

...wondered if anyone had actually disassembled their E39 review mirror?...

I have purchased a replacement dimming mirror cell from radar-mirror for an e39 m5. The service was fast and the product quality seemed really good. Very happy with it. I would recommend.

Dis-assembly of mirror to make replacement was pretty easy but needs care not to break the fragile tabs.

Edited by turbolizard

How much was the replacement cell?

I have purchased a replacement dimming mirror cell from radar-mirror for an e39 m5. The service was fast and the product quality seemed really good. Very happy with it. I would recommend.

Dis-assembly of mirror to make replacement was pretty easy but needs care not to break the fragile tabs.

while you are doing this if the mirror is auto dimmer type I'd look at replacing the glass rather than modify the exisiting one.

There is a good chance that the current one will fail at some point and start leaking an acid like substance. The newer ones use better technology.

How much was the replacement cell?

I think it was about USD85 + freight (which was quite high) - maybe USD110-120 all up. I got it here for less than NZD200, paid by credit card, was easy and quick.

My cell had yellowed and developed a bubble and as Neal says above, they can leak. The mirror for M5 is oval shaped so hard to find and expensive. I am real happy with it.

The radar detector display install they do looks pretty trick, but I just needed a standard replacement.