Sign in to follow this  
slowe30

wide e30 wheels

soon i will be looking for some new mags for my e30, the whole point of doing this will be to get more rubber on the road. i currently have 215 40 17s and they are far from wide enough.

my question to all the people out there that have fitted tyres to an e30 or are tyre spechialists. whats the widest wheel an e30 can take? without stretch of course. the cars built to perform and will be needing the grip when im finished

I've Run 17x8's with 245/40's on PFL arches with only the lips rolled in the past.

the pre FL rear arch can handle 10 inch if the right offsets and use of a shock inset top mount.

I'm on 18x8.5 road and 17x9 race.

What are you trying to do ?

i currently have 215 40 17s and they are far from wide enough....

...whats the widest wheel an e30 can take? without stretch of course.

the pre FL rear arch can handle 10 inch if the right offsets and use of a shock inset top mount.

Not with-out "paint on" tyres you can't.

NZV8 240/625's on 17x9's fit the E30 nicely.

Posted Image

The 240 slicks actually ran narrower (across the thread) than the 245/40 Conti SCII's I had for the road.

hmmm I beg to differ

Here is mine with 17x9 Dunlop D14 240/625r17 .. still have another inch and a bit between the inner tire and the shock, I have offset top mounts to give 1/3's of an inch extra. Mild gaurd roll. Not exactly paint on tires either.

Posted Image

I think you will find the rear shock isn't the limiting factor, it is the chassis at the front of the rear wheel wells.

That is where mine touched anyway when I test fitted some 265/625 dunlops.

With the 240/625's there is ~10mm clearance (static) on the inside to that spot on the chassis.

*could well be a 2dr Vs 4dr thing even*

I think you will find the rear shock isn't the limiting factor, it is the chassis at the front of the rear wheel wells.

That is where mine touched anyway when I test fitted some 265/625 dunlops.

With the 240/625's there is ~10mm clearance (static) on the inside to that spot on the chassis.

*could well be a 2dr Vs 4dr thing even*

Interesting. I will say im using z3 mcoupe rear trailing arms, They stick out a little bit more. So I run a e36 (et38) offset and its perfect.

I'll check with the road wheels/tires tonight on that spot and reply back. Theyre a et30 @ 8.5 inch. Painted on tires however with those :D

Excuse the DTM / Grp A car reference pics.

At the bottom of the tyre in this pic:

Posted Image

Also have to watch the front here where they have scollped the back of the wheel well:

And not shown, the the bottom of the battery tray area also.

Posted Image

well im slowly building the car up to become a track/street car, but im at the stage of getting all the things sorted for the cert. and because wheel specs are on the cert plate need to get them before i can get the car back out.

so 17x9s with 235s will fit as road tyres? and how have you adjusted the rear camber? weld in tabs or some other method?

also if you wouldnt mind, when your talking about slicks what does the 625 part (like in this 240/625r17) stand for/mean?

thanks for all the help, would be awesome to see you guys at the track eventually when i get there