Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Noises... the best tool

A number of people lately have been asking about noises from their vehicles. One of the best tools you can have in your tool box is a stethescope. You can either use the probe (touch end) or use it with the open end of the tube for identifying the sourse of noises. There are many types, including electronic. Can be used everywhere, engine bay, cabin, suspension, steering, drive train etc.

Heres a selection:

The most common ones used by technicians is the third along the top of the selection. You can buy them from most tool suppliers in NZ

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=automotiv...440&bih=672

Edited by *Glenn*

In the good old days a stethescope was the best way of tuning twin (or triple) carburettor set-ups on cars! Just get the hiss sound of air in the intake exactly the same on all carbs and they were balanced! Best tip ever! ;)

In the good old days a stethescope was the best way of tuning twin (or triple) carburettor set-ups on cars! Just get the hiss sound of air in the intake exactly the same on all carbs and they were balanced! Best tip ever! ;)

I've still got my carburettor vacuum/flow guage in my tool box :P and my side valve guide punch.... and my brake shoe / clutch lining riveter... how things have changed

I've got one (never actually used it)!

Ear on the end of a screw driver works well too ... although bit more limited in reach.

A bit hard to watch what your touching in a confined area with a screwdriver in one ear with your head turned to the left or right. Getting tangled up in belts etc is not a good look inside an engine bay with a customer looking over your shoulder

Ear on the end of a screw driver works well too ... although bit more limited in reach.

Have seen my old man doing this. Humorous to watch