Sign in to follow this  
OneSeventy

New BMW keys for older cars

Guest Ari Gold

Somewhat correct.

They're not stored in a vault but you can only order a certain number of keys before needing a new EWS unit (and locks and keys to go along with it).

Yeah to be honest that sounds like a huge waste to make a bunch of keys which the majority of will never ever be used. They would end up holding keys for cars that don't exist anymore. Cheaper for BMW to just make the keys as they're ordered which I suspect they would do... I don't doubt that there would be a limit though.

In the end I decided to get a remote key despite the fact it won't be a fancy new looking design. I'll have two remote ones but I don't like the sound of a standard key stuffing the lock on my car door if my remote key dies. Peace of mind I guess.

Somewhat correct.

They're not stored in a vault but you can only order a certain number of keys before needing a new EWS unit (and locks and keys to go along with it).

Pretty sure the limit is 10 for a EWS unit, which 3 is used when the car is manufactured (2 main key + 1 valet/wallet key). So you can get 7 more before needing to replace it.

Lulz, for what car, and what dealer?

Continental said they need the car for half a day for programming when I do get new keys, but I didn't ask them for price. It's Ari Gold that said needing 4 figure price.

Yeah to be honest that sounds like a huge waste to make a bunch of keys which the majority of will never ever be used. They would end up holding keys for cars that don't exist anymore. Cheaper for BMW to just make the keys as they're ordered which I suspect they would do... I don't doubt that there would be a limit though.

In the end I decided to get a remote key despite the fact it won't be a fancy new looking design. I'll have two remote ones but I don't like the sound of a standard key stuffing the lock on my car door if my remote key dies. Peace of mind I guess.

You can get a new case/blank key & get it cut to yours & swap the internals over.

I did this to replace one of my remote keys that had mangled rubber buttons

Also, the cars, when new, come with four keys: Two remotes, one valet & one plastic service key.

IIRC the EWS can accept ten keys being programmed - meaning six replacements.

Sounds like an urban myth tbh

Yes , there was a story about a huge vault but no, they are all cut to order!

Order a key from BMW NZ or any of its dealers & Most of the keys now for the NZ market are cut in Malaysia , not Germany

Nah, Just BMW, sorry.

Just sold 8 VW keys to one customer last week ;)

They too , aren't as expensive as has been alluded on here

they were for mid 2000’s Passat's & Golfs & ranged from $150.00 to approx. $350 max for full remote keys

All Genuine parts from VW Germany

If you send me the details of the Ford Key, I can certainly inquire with our German suppliers but cant promise any thing there

Cheers

Paul

Just sold 8 VW keys to one customer last week ;)

If you send me the details of the Ford Key, I can certainly inquire with our German suppliers but cant promise any thing there

I stand corrected! You're more resourceful than I thought!

My keys are all programmed now - was easy :-)