Sign in to follow this  
Mador

E34 Manual gearbox crossmember

After gearbox crossmember if anyone has one

m20 or m50 engine as gearboxes use different types also wide or narrow type tunnel???

just buy a new one , they are not that expensive approx $100

m20 or m50 engine as gearboxes use different types also wide or narrow type tunnel???

just buy a new one , they are not that expensive approx $100

Awesome you have them for 100?

Ive emailed TONNES of BMW Part Dealers in NZ and noone has them New or Old,

Errm

It was a M20 with Getrag 240 but now have an M50 for it, also have a Getrag 260 but dont know the difference between the 2 boxes could you clear this up or advise which is the best to use?

If the 260 then will the driveshaft still work with it?

Thanks Brent

Edit: Do you have a rough dimension for narrow and wide tunnel? Sorry didnt know there were 2 types

Edited by Mador 525i

if you have replace teh m20 engine with a m50 engine , and are still using the getrag 240 or 260 box from the m20 you will have to make up a mount or modify one as the m50 engine leans over more.

if you use a m50 m52 type gearbox liek getrag250 or zf types etc then use a orignal e34 mount for a later model m50 engine m50.

also driveshafts will all be different lengths depending on which gearbox you use.

also may have to bend the gearlever over a bit .

i think my mate used a getrag 240 behind a m50 engine in a e34 we used a e36 gearbox mount and then had to use bigger rubber mounts on one side and pack washers under right side engine mount to lift it up a bit.

and slot some of the holes etc

best thing you can do is get all the correct m50 parts to suit the car

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Makes alot of sense, thanks very much for clearing this up means alot as it will save me the headache of finding out the hard way, So if I stand the engine up more to the degree of the M20 I should be able to get away with a standard mount +- some washers/packers?

The plan is Turbo so standing the engine up is slightly inevitable to get a downpipe past the steering rack

So you are able to supply a new mount?

The guy who sold me the conversion kit gave me a mount that must have been either for an auto or narrow tunnel as I had to slot the holes wider to be able to bolt it on but its far too rough for my liking

Makes alot of sense, thanks very much for clearing this up means alot as it will save me the headache of finding out the hard way, So if I stand the engine up more to the degree of the M20 I should be able to get away with a standard mount +- some washers/packers?

The plan is Turbo so standing the engine up is slightly inevitable to get a downpipe past the steering rack

So you are able to supply a new mount?

The guy who sold me the conversion kit gave me a mount that must have been either for an auto or narrow tunnel as I had to slot the holes wider to be able to bolt it on but its far too rough for my liking

there is no mount that will bolt up properly for what you are using.

it will have to be modified , drilled , slotted , welded etc etc to make it work

or just make one like a lot of the e30 guys do when they fit a m50 engine into a e30 with a getrag 260 or 240 gearbox

either use a m50 engine with proper m50 type gearbox

or use a m20 engine with m20 type gearbox