Sign in to follow this  
flake

E30 motronic 1.1 to motonic 1.3 conversion

Hey guys,

Having a bit of trouble with starting my rebuilt/re-loomed engine starting it for the first time. Car is a PFL that I've converted into FL engine and management.

The setup is a bit of a Frankenstein, using:

FL motronic 1.3 auto ECU (english car)

FL 320i motronic 1.3 engine loom (jap car)

PFL 325i injectors (nz car)

Is this combination the problem being all from different cars?

The car turns over and goes through all the cycles but doesn't fire up.

- ICV hums

- We have spark

- We have a voltage signal at the round plug for the injector loom

- Fuel pump isn't priming but will work when you jump the relay.

- After several turn overs removed a spark plug with no scent of fuel

We managed to start the car for a few seconds by spraying "Start Ya Bastard" down the intake, which concludes it will start. This would suggest that the injectors aren't opening. I dunno??? Because its not talking the correct signal???? Signal?????

Would it be worth swapping the whole loom for a complete one out of one car.

Thanka

Edited by flake

Check the impedance of your injectors.

I remember there been a difference between the older ones and the newer ones, but that could of been on the ETA engines.

I believe motronic 1.3 uses high impedance injectors, so around 12 ohms. Low impedance injectors on a ECU expecting high impedance wont work.

Cheers for the advice, Troy=GC

Gave all this a try for the first time by myself, quite pleased with my troubleshooting. Established PFL and FL 325i injectors are the same impedance around 16ohms, it's the ETA motors which use low impedance injectors.

Pulled apart my FL 325i and swapped ECU, fuel rail etc and intake manifold. Made no difference so had to swap it all back, needed the FL to get to work the next day.

Obviously I was still having a fuel problem so for some odd reason I decided I better put like 5 litres of 98octane in the fuel tank. Then thought I should jump the relay to purge the fuel system, and then just for a laugh I figured I'd try turn it over.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! fuel light on "E", sitting for 6 months. Evaporation

So after all that its nice to know the compatibility of all the e30 gear I was using. Will make an update soon.

Edited by flake