Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

Puke Testing E30 Pretty Scruffy

Puke Testing E30

Just some footage I finally got up of some pretty scruffy laps round Pukekohe with a passenger a few weeks back on canvas tires ( well they were after that session ).

Good fun though. Think best lap was a 1.16.9 according to Harry's lap timer.

Car Specs:

E30 Series Car 320i L-Jet dyno'd at 96.7 at wheels before this test day.

Enjoy =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqJwSt4RjgM...183AUAAAAAAAAAA

Nice lap - as a constructive feedback (nothing negative), there's room for improvement in terms of some of your lines - also don't take so much curb through the esses.

I've always used these two videos below as reference for lines around Pukekohe, driven by some of the best drivers around:

Craig Baird:

David Reynolds:

I am by no means perfect, but as a comparison of a few laps I did last year (about ten months ago I think on 10 years old tyres and no wheel alignment + passenger)

http://vimeo.com/25947284

With all due respect, the track has improved 10 fold, after being out the other week I can safely say modern lap times are almost non comparable to what they were a few years ago.

In particular, the chicane on the essess that Jack cuts could not be cut like that a few years ago, I can see why you would think that is a bad approach but I can assure you it is very fast, you can go through it flat out, even entry and exit from the back straight are vastly improved.

TBH I pooh poohed Pukekohe up until a recent drive around it, and now I would prefer it to Hampton downs for testing.

Edited by apex

Graham, I agree with you that Pukekohe has improved vastly over the years and I still rate it as a very rewarding and fun track to drive on (it used to be hell bumpy pre 2008) - more fun than Hampton Downs for me personally.

It must be the camera angle on Jack's car that's making me think he's taking on a huge amount of curbs than necessary.

Those are quite big curbs and I've seen tyres get cut quite badly from taking too much curb lap after lap (I've done it personally in the past). I agree it is the faster line, and most especially if you run 3 way or 4 way shocks where high speed bump can be independently backed off to suit, otherwise you tend to just bounce right over them.

I was amazed having not tested there since Hampton Downs opened, I do enjoy Pukekohe and it is a valuable place to test the car and bring out any problems that may arise in a road event, more so than Hampton I think, its bumps and long straight test the car a bit better.

It seems that whole chicane on turn two is new, its actually different to the way it is in all three of your vids, if you line it up properly you can miss the rumble part all together and have the LHS wheels on smooth concrete and the RHS wheels on the edge of the tarmac, doing this gives much better entry and composure onto the back straight and is good for an extra 10kph in a slow car.

PS Jack is a madman and takes that section faster than most would have the balls to do ;)

PS Jack is a madman and takes that section faster than most would have the balls to do ;)

ps, you're half right...

It seems that whole chicane on turn two is new, its actually different to the way it is in all three of your vids, if you line it up properly you can miss the rumble part all together and have the LHS wheels on smooth concrete and the RHS wheels on the edge of the tarmac, doing this gives much better entry and composure onto the back straight and is good for an extra 10kph in a slow car.

awesome, I must give it a go sometimes !!!! It has been a while since I was there last.

ps, you're half right...

Lovin the sarcasm ;) Once I sort my front suspension out I think that section will be much quicker for me.

Need to put some front bump stops in for the fun day.

I think the lap looks quite good. I cut that first left hand corner across the concrete too and find it works well, but I like to approach it from the middle of the track, giving a bit more time for the weight to transfer to the right making it a bit smoother.

Your foot work sounds good as well.

I think the lap looks quite good. I cut that first left hand corner across the concrete too and find it works well, but I like to approach it from the middle of the track, giving a bit more time for the weight to transfer to the right making it a bit smoother.

Your foot work sounds good as well.

Yea, my lines in that video are very questionable after a few more days there I've learnt. Always learning but I'm about a sec faster than that video now I think of my phones timing at least.

Thanks for the good comments though!! ;)