Sign in to follow this  
razza

No oil on dipstick e36

Hi guys,

I've been occasionally browsing the forum for a few years, but only recently opened an account and this is my first post!

I'm after a BWM E36, and I just had a look at one today. It was in good condition overall but there was just one strange thing. When I checked the oil dipstick there was hardly any oil on it. I repeated the test a few times and still nothing.

Unfortunately, when the owner backed the car out of the garage he rode over a nail so I couldn't test drive it, but when he started it there were no funny noises or smoking. Its most recent oil change was in February, and the owner claims it has just been sitting since, and that could be why. Is that possible? Would the engine have to be run at operating temperature after its been sitting for a little while for oil to show on the dipstick? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'm not the most technical when it comes to cars.

The car is NZ new and is a 1993 325i, if that makes any difference. Its only had two owners, and had its early service history at Team McMillan and then subsequently at the local mechanic (Eastern Beach Motors).

Cheers,

Raz

325 being 6 cyclinder takes more oil (6-7 litre depending) than its 4-cyclinder siblings. Their "normal" mechanics doing "budget" servicing only put 4-5 litre of oil in it is what I am guessing.

You need to take oil reading with the car at operating temp and on a flat surface. Otherwise the oil can look low, especially if it is colder weather.