Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 528i transmission

Recently bought the car and took it straight to our trusted mechanics. Amongst a few other things they did a complete transmission service for me. Since then, every now and again - and nearly always on the flat after a steep hill climb in second gear, the auto transmission seems to get stuck temporarily in second. If I take my foot off the gas or flick the change gear with the tiptronic it's fine.

I don't remember this happening before the service but haven't had the car long enough to hand-on-heart say that it is only since the service. Obviously, transmission woes in a '96 E39 are going to be expensive so I'm a bit worried about it. Has anyone had any experience of this sort of thing?

Recently bought the car and took it straight to our trusted mechanics. Amongst a few other things they did a complete transmission service for me. Since then, every now and again - and nearly always on the flat after a steep hill climb in second gear, the auto transmission seems to get stuck temporarily in second. If I take my foot off the gas or flick the change gear with the tiptronic it's fine.

I don't remember this happening before the service but haven't had the car long enough to hand-on-heart say that it is only since the service. Obviously, transmission woes in a '96 E39 are going to be expensive so I'm a bit worried about it. Has anyone had any experience of this sort of thing?

have heard similar stories from other e39 models.

nearly all were the same problem/solution.

low/ish oil level. refilling the box is a slowish process and the box needs to be put thru the 'gears'

to ensure the oil level stays upto the high mark and not starve the oil pump.

others on here might have other opion,but its worked for a couple of folks i know.

if you still have issues,i have a 528 box on the shelf, not to dear

have heard similar stories from other e39 models.

nearly all were the same problem/solution.

low/ish oil level. refilling the box is a slowish process and the box needs to be put thru the 'gears'

to ensure the oil level stays upto the high mark and not starve the oil pump.

others on here might have other opion,but its worked for a couple of folks i know.

if you still have issues,i have a 528 box on the shelf, not to dear

Thanks. I'm pretty new to this but am keen to learn how to do as much stuff as possible myself. Is refilling the gearbox pretty simple? Is the oil different to the transmission fluid? When it was serviced recently my mechanic (who I trust) replaced the transmission fluid with new synthetic fluid. As I say, I've virtually no experience so barely know an oil filter from an air filter but I'm a quick learner.

service and flush?, or just a power flush,did they mention what oil was used?

how much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking, as it will be an indication of the quality of service and grade of oil

also was the car scanned?

another thing to take note is rapid changes in driving style or changing from driver to driver

cheers

Jon

Edited by JKSE

service and flush?, or just a power flush,did they mention what oil was used?

how much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking, as it will be an indication of the quality of service and grade of oil

also was the car scanned?

another thing to take note is rapid changes in driving style or changing from driver to driver

cheers

Jon

I paid around $900 for a full service but not sure how much of that was the trans fluid replacement. I'll check the service sheet and get back to you. I'm the main driver, my wife uses it occasionally but that often but it is new to us so not sure how many drivers it had previously.