Sign in to follow this  
BlowMyWhistle

E34 bumper strip removal

Hi Y'all. I am in the process of stripping the front of my car (while it's off the rd...)

I got some new bumper strips, and headlights, foglights too.

All the searches I do give me the US version, 'pry out the side lights, remove bumper strips etc.

Looked at the write up on here, but can't see where to start?

I'm not just gunner take to it with a crowbar!

Do I need to take the front trim/ number plate mount out first?

Fog lights was easy as, couple screws, nice crystal oems.

Changing the bumper strips to USA style with side lights.

But step 1, getting them off without wrecking anything...

this is from memory from about 8 months ago when i put my bodykit on, but in anycase its quite complicated procedure for what should be an easy exercise. you need to take the numberplate off first and then the two plastic pieces between the foglights and the lower grill part under the bumper, behind which you will find the front towhooks. behind there you should see a couple screws each side to undo, and then the whole front piece comes off. note that the numberplate piece and the grill-like part under it is all one big piece of plastic and the top portion just clicks on clicks off from the bumper. then from there you can take the corner pieces off and then (if you wanted to) undo the large nuts you see to remove the bumper.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

this is from memory from about 8 months ago when i put my bodykit on, but in anycase its quite complicated procedure for what should be an easy exercise. you need to take the numberplate off first and then the two plastic pieces between the foglights and the lower grill part under the bumper, behind which you will find the front towhooks. behind there you should see a couple screws each side to undo, and then the whole front piece comes off. note that the numberplate piece and the grill-like part under it is all one big piece of plastic and the top portion just clicks on clicks off from the bumper. then from there you can take the corner pieces off and then (if you wanted to) undo the large nuts you see to remove the bumper.

yeah got it, went and checked the new part to go on, flipped the old bit out with a small screwdriver refitted the US strips, slightly shorter by about 7mm, at the wheel well end..