Sign in to follow this  
antil33t

Center Bore Size milling/increasing

I picked up a cheap set of Throwing Star reps.

the offset is right, pcd is right, but the CB is slightly, EVER SO SLIGHTLY too small. so they won't fit. Probably get to about 5mm off the hub.

Does anyone know of anyone in Dunedin that can mill these out? Just ring up engineering places until someone gives me a good deal?

Posted Image

They've been restored and the lips are polished, absolutely no kerbing at all! so I'd quite like them for my Touring.

Best place would be automotion down hillside rd. Take Most of my stuff along those sort of lines there and seem reasonably priced too. I know they do alot of wheel straightening and fixing cracks etc so I'm sure this would be an easy task for them.

It seems strange that the CB's on these are too small.

Dumb question but have you checked that there are no locating rings currently stuck on your hubs?

The E34 should have a 72.5 cb, only the E39 had the larger 74.1.

Unless of course you are trying to put them onto an E39?

I'm going to try cleaning the center's out on the wheels before going down, someone suggested that they might be filled with crud, especially because they haven't been on a car in 3+ years.

I checked my hubs, and the wheels for rings, but my car has the stock horrible e34 bottlecaps so, no need for location rings.

Will try automotion tomorrow!

Just had a play, Cleaning the bores no-good.

Measured them. 70mm CB need them bored 2.5mm. Lame. Plenty of material there to do that.

Edited by antil33t

Hmmm.. .... very strange

The only other vehicle that has a 5x120 stud pattern but only a 70cb is the Holden Commodore but they are a 3 series offset.

Anyway - hopefully they are a 20ish ET. The centres should be able to ve machined pretty easily but make sure you get it done to 72.6 so thatthey actually slide over the E34 hubs :)

Yeah, It wasn't gonna cost too much to have them machined.

but when I had the tyres removed one of the rims has a slight bend in it (easy to fix) and some f**king wanker has had a go at machining the hubs themselves. and mangled it. (probably would be easy to machine out)

and the place that was going to machine them has d*ck all parking which made me give up. So I've put them back in the garage.

after all that whinging I gave up being a giver upper and took them in.

Will have them back tomorrow, unfortunately all the tyres are 22 years old, so I won't be using those.

Edited by antil33t

Yea parking isn't the best down there. What's it costing you to get them done?

$10-15 bucks per wheel for the boring, not sure about the straightening.

Sexy set of Racing Dynamics 17x??" Sitting on the floor.

Thats pretty good. And buy buy buy!