Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

New suspension setup

Got offered a set of 6 month old jamex springs for a wicked price and couldnt pass up the chance. Now I'm wondering, what shocks should I be looking at buying, basically Bilstein or Koni is what I wanna stick to but welcome to other opinions.

Prices and where to buy would be great to.

Thanks

Andy

Edited by E30stz

mostly depends on your price and aim

what jamex springs are they? the 40mm progessive? or 60mm superlow? Andrews ones?

bilsteins will run you about $1100

konis about $1300

konis are www.georgestock.co.nz

cant remember bilsteins off top of my head but shouldnt be too hard to find.

also there are KYB's for a lower cost alternative, maybe $700ish a set?

Was considering Andrews ones but like this guy gave it to me 30% cheaper than what he wanted, and its really hard to pass up such good offers, as they dont come around too often.

They're 35-40mm jamex springs. Lol @ suspension, damn thats expensive.

Edited by E30stz

USA cheapest by far. Set of bilstein sports is $389US + $149US for air freight. Around $800NZ (At shox.com)

Guest Andrew

have mine for 150 seriously - take THEM! ANY price he offers you I will better.. AND INSTALL THEM.

BTW -

I have beeen talking with Keith from Spring Techniques LTD. Bimmersport is getting deals on new jamex springs approx 70 cheaper than retail on thier whole range. <-- watch this space

:( Already paid $140. At $200 they seemed I dunno a little outa my range, $140 yeah was around wut I would buy at. Sorry buddy. Edited by E30stz

Guest Andrew

:( Already paid $140. At $200 they seemed I dunno a little outa my range, $140 yeah was around wut I would buy at. Sorry buddy.

your gonna need new shocks -

huh .. you think I should flag new shocks and just run it on standards till i need to get new ones ?

Edited by E30stz

dont procrastinate. sure you can do that ( ihave) but you end up not doing it and your ride gets shitter and shitter until you fly off the road and kill people. but seriously, easier to do it all at once...saves having to dissasemble the front struts twice at least

If anyones interested I've got a set of rear Kings Springs (I know they're kings, Not sure if they are Superlows - judging on the ride height I assume so) to swap for another brand of rear lowered springs (Jamex, Dobis etc...) for an E30 325i.

The 325i regularly carries gear in the boot and with the car being lowered results in a mean negative rake.

I'm still not sure about the whole "upgrade your shocks when you lower car" thing. The guy at the shop where i buy my suspension parts reckoned sports shocks were only worth upgrading to if your car was bouncing or you really want that extra performance that they give you. Said nothing about them destroying standard shocks.

I will happily be proved wrong.

That said, i found putting sport shocks in the back made an awesome improved in handling, they are definatly way better than standard. Up to you if they would be $1000 better than standard though.

my 2 cents

Guest Andrew

I'm still not sure about the whole "upgrade your shocks when you lower car" thing. The guy at the shop where i buy my suspension parts reckoned sports shocks were only worth upgrading to if your car was bouncing or you really want that extra performance that they give you. Said nothing about them destroying standard shocks.

I will happily be proved wrong.

That said, i found putting sport shocks in the back made an awesome improved in handling, they are definatly way better than standard. Up to you if they would be $1000 better than standard though.

my 2 cents

springs are useless unless they are controlled properly.

There is NO way a car with stock shocks and aftermarket springs will handle anything like the same car with the same springs and good shocks.

The guy in the shop was just wrong. It will kill them eventually. Mine died on the 320 after a matter of months.

lower springs and a harder spring rate will KILL standard shocks.

I can personally recommend konis, had them for around 6 years and they are perfect, plus if they die, you can always just get them rebuilt in nz.

go for the whole package as gus said it saves on hassles later.