Sign in to follow this  
kiwi328i

E34 525i

Hi fellow bimmersport members,

My E34 has an issue. The indicators usually work, most of the time, but about 15mins into a journey usually by the time I get to the motoway, they dont, not left or right, nothing on the dash either. When I park up, usually on my return some time later, they work fine...its almost as if there is a timing or heat related factor which does it, cause if I dont use the car for a while, they work fine. Now when it doesnt work...it doesnt work for ages, my trips dont last more than an hour, so if they work, then fail after say 20 mins...they probably wont work till I get to my destination.

The hazard switch always works as per usual. I use it to switch lanes, if I have too. So they work perfectly.

I looked at the indicator unit on the column, no apparent problems, and as far as google tells me, is usually not a problem item. I changed out the relay under the hood, for another secondhand unit, and that worked for 4 days, and the problem has returned.

I guess I could change the indicator unit, but like most things on cars, I dont want to just replace every part of the chain if someone knows what the problem is.

Cheers, your help is much appreciated.

Any ideas, or has anyone else had this problem? It's a hard question to google.

Lionel

Indicators on the E34 are done in the LKM, it could have Dodgy solders.. Under the dash the relay for the indicators is purely there to make noise, the one on the stalk Brent sold me, seriously two wires... there to make noise lol.

Considered a different stalk or something?

You live in Auckland. Do you need them? Just move into the city ;)

Even better, get a taxi or a bus license.

Indicators on the E34 are done in the LKM, it could have Dodgy solders.. Under the dash the relay for the indicators is purely there to make noise, the one on the stalk Brent sold me, seriously two wires... there to make noise lol.

Considered a different stalk or something?

mmm, ok, looks like I will have to look at the wiring from the indicator unit on the column then trace it back to this thing that makes noise, its definately an odd one, cause it nearly always fails after 15mins...like it has a flippin timer on it, god only knows what causes it.

I mean dodgey solder is one thing, but dodgey solder doesnt work one minute then falters almost religiously after 15 mins...give a break of a few hours then it works again, and then the cycle begins again...I wish something just flat out broke!...its much easier when something totally fails.

lol

Cheers.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt....php?p=12426367

Have a look here, doesn't hurt just to quickly have a gander.

Broken solders can cause funny issues. Might even be worth giving the connector a quick clean.

Checked the LKM, was in new condition, power was coming through to the fuse box, so I checked the loom between the indicator stalk unit and the nearest block connector....it was there, for some reason the wires were very loose in there, it doesnt explain the intermittent problem, cause a bad connection doesnt usually go out after a while then come good some time after...however I fixed all the connectors in the block and got my 'headlight flasher' going also, which didnt work previously, oh and you could use my indicators without the ignition on...now you cant as per normal, so that fixed that also...it doesnt explain why it would fail after about 20 mins, then come back on, but im rapt...just another one of the personality 'issues' cars seem to bring on now and again...