Sign in to follow this  
HappyH00ker

E30 Clutch

Any one experience this .. hillstart .. release clutch pedal, it comes back but no clutch engagement ?

After a few long pumps of the pedal, a pressure hiss from the Master Cylinder and the clutch releases.

With short pedal travel when on the move, no problem, but long pedal stroke for standing start it's no good.

I'm guessing either Master or Slave Cylinder need replacing.

What would keep pressure on Slave preventing clutch engaging - when the pedal isn't pressed ?

Could it be the clutch mechanism itself not return pressuring the Salve shaft ?

Currently in process of replacing both cylinders and using a braided hose.

Appreciate any ideas..

Dads E30 started to creep (if you held the pedal in, it would slowly start to engage and drive off!)

I got the parts from partmaster (they were in stock, and I get trade there) for under $100 (I think) for both master and slave. They're both pretty easy to change, so worth doing anyway.

It would also have a rubber pressure line fault - the inside can break down and block small orifices - effecting making one way valves :angry:

You may find a good bleed would fix it anyway, but the parts are cheap enough - just flush the hard lines while the slave is off, to clear any crud out.

Dads E30 started to creep (if you held the pedal in, it would slowly start to engage and drive off!)

I got the parts from partmaster (they were in stock, and I get trade there) for under $100 (I think) for both master and slave. They're both pretty easy to change, so worth doing anyway.

It would also have a rubber pressure line fault - the inside can break down and block small orifices - effecting making one way valves :angry:

You may find a good bleed would fix it anyway, but the parts are cheap enough - just flush the hard lines while the slave is off, to clear any crud out.

Thanks Allan, will do.

Thanks Allan, will do.

Yep was the Slave - found the outer seal was torn and leaking into bellhousing.

Sourced new Master & Slave today, but the Slave doesn't have the push rod included, I'm supposed to reuse the original.. only trouble is that the rubber tip is missing, may also be in bellhousing.. any suggestions where I can obtain either the pushrod or another rubber tip for mine ?

post-16676-1340695868.jpg