Sign in to follow this  
tumeke4u

New window motor replacement, now window won't wind all the way up

Hi all,

I'm trying to fix my drivers side window, the old motor failed, so I bought a new (second hand new) one, have installed the regulator and motor back in the door and tried to do the "hold it for 15secs to set it", but it won't wind all the way up in the first instance for me to do that. It stops about four fingers widths away from the top, and when it winds down, it winds all the way down, to the point the window slider rails are hitting the bottom of the door frame, and does this all the time, even tho I've tried to set the memory for this also.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, cheers :blink:

I'd say it's because you didn't have the window or the motor in the same position when you put the new motor in so that's why it doesn't go all the way up and too far down.

I'd say it's because you didn't have the window or the motor in the same position when you put the new motor in so that's why it doesn't go all the way up and too far down.

What does it mean that it wasn't? How can i fix it?

Try having the door closed, key on, then go down, then up then down then up and hold for 5 secs

Try having the door closed, key on, then go down, then up then down then up and hold for 5 secs

Yep I tried that one, it didn't go all the way up. Would disconnecting the battery do anything? Reset a memory of any sorts?

I would say something along these lines will be the issue.

Are the clips fine, do you have the window aligned properly in the rubber guides??

I would say something along these lines will be the issue.

Are the clips fine, do you have the window aligned properly in the rubber guides??

Hiya can you elaborate a little more? What clips and what rubber guides? Lol sorry I know nothing about fixing cars and this is my 1st attempt :blink:

Power the motor up directly from a battery. If it goes right up then - all the guides etc are ok.

Once up - then go though the reset procedure

Hiya can you elaborate a little more? What clips and what rubber guides? Lol sorry I know nothing about fixing cars and this is my 1st attempt :blink:

Clips are the white things the regulator uses to move the window. I would replace these, as I had one break recently... $15 per window and the window moves very slick now.

the guides are at the sides of each windows, where the window sits in, I found it a little difficult to get it back in.

that's if the E36 is the same as the E34.