Sign in to follow this  
e30-redline

e30 starting trouble

325i 1990 4 door e30 facelife was running fine and idleing fine but is getting panel and painted and was sitting around for a few weeks. have been taking the battery out after i finish with it and park it up so it wouldnt die could this cause the computer to stuff out?

any help is much appreciated thanks deon

Firstly, is the idly control valve buzzing when the car is turned on? It should. Also it will need to be clean and free of crap that may jam it.

The thermo time switch or coolant temp sensor (cant remember what it is called on motronic) needs to run open circuit when cold, and increasing resistance to closed when hot. The original sensors were blue top, I think they are black now.

The ECU can blow one of the circuits also which controls the ICV operation.

Both the sensor and the ECU went on an m20 I had once at the same time, causing a lot of confusion as no one test for failure worked.

Firstly, is the idly control valve buzzing when the car is turned on? It should. Also it will need to be clean and free of crap that may jam it.

The thermo time switch or coolant temp sensor (cant remember what it is called on motronic) needs to run open circuit when cold, and increasing resistance to closed when hot. The original sensors were blue top, I think they are black now.

The ECU can blow one of the circuits also which controls the ICV operation.

Both the sensor and the ECU went on an m20 I had once at the same time, causing a lot of confusion as no one test for failure worked.

took the idle control valve off and gave it a good clean freeing it up and reconnected it and it turned it over, it started and ran at idle for about 10 seconds then turned off again. tried starting it again and it fired and died straight away so i took the idle control valve off again and did the same and tried again and it started again and died straight away. thinking it could be the idle control valve thats causeing it to not run but i could be wrong any input is appreciated thanks. use to run mint even when left for long periods of time and now it just wont hold idle and dies. how do i check the coolent temp sensor and thermo timeer switch also? cheers