Sign in to follow this  
speedyg

E39 cooling fan noise

Hi,

I have just replaced the water pump and viscous clutch in my car, all is running good again.

On startup the viscous fan is really noisy ie. going flat out and shifting some serious amounts of air. After about a minute it quietens down and sounds normal, but will get noisy when accelerating off from a standstill when cold.

My question is, does this sound normal and is it just the new viscous coupling? It is a after market one from Millands, brand :Hans Pries Topran (sounds German ;) )

I am tempted to put the old one back in which was working fine.

Hi,

I have just replaced the water pump and viscous clutch in my car, all is running good again.

On startup the viscous fan is really noisy ie. going flat out and shifting some serious amounts of air. After about a minute it quietens down and sounds normal, but will get noisy when accelerating off from a standstill when cold.

My question is, does this sound normal and is it just the new viscous coupling? It is a after market one from Millands, brand :Hans Pries Topran (sounds German ;) )

I am tempted to put the old one back in which was working fine.

That Is a sign of a healthy viscous!!!

yea viscous should do that

you will hear the same roar from most vehicles with a viscous fan

Should sound similar to a Holden 202 when it's good

Ok, all good then. I was reading on a few other websites that the OEM viscous is much quieter than aftermarket. I guess I will just get used to it.