Sign in to follow this  
slowe30

e36 ignition

recently got a new e36, dads using it at the moment and said the ignition is rolling but i never experianced it, this morning he went to start it and it turned like normal, without the rolling action, but it wouldnt start. wouldnt click or crank or anything. turned all the way round and got ignition lights on and everything, just no starting. is there any other normal e36 issues i should look at?

i know ill be needing to fix the rolling issue at the same time, and i plan to, but this feals like a differant issue so wanted so see if there is something else that needs fixing

Just fixed mine the other week after having the spinning for years then it jammed in on so had to pop the electrical barrel on the back off to start/ stop it.

you can either drill a wee hole through where the barrel sits in and put a screw in to stop it spinning as a temp fix or have to get a whole new barrel like I did for 250 odd dollars.

A good vid on YouTube about how to do both but when releasing the barrel you need it in acc, not on as stated in vid

the problem isnt it spinning, it does turn the ignition on and off, just doesnt go far enough to make it crank. taking it apart and inspecting now, will see what i find

found the issue, the AA guy that towed the car back home missed the blown fuse, i finally felt the spinning ignition issue aswell and realised how bad it is. glad its getting fixed and never got to the point of locking up in a random position