Sign in to follow this  
B.M.W

What do you think (e46 318)?

hey well im in the market for a e46 and i found this one for sale

My Webpage

what do ya think? i cant quite make out the badge on the back

any help and feedback would be great thanks

Hey,

That seems quite a nice example of an E46 318. Well priced too. Especially for a manual- kind of rare.

The badge on the back says "Breyton" which is a tuning brand which is not as popular as Alpina, Hartage, AC Schnitzer, Hamann MTECH and the like.

So obviously one way or another it has been modified, I can spot clear indicators and Breyton wheels.. although there may be more

Just a bit of info on the E46 318, Eg power etc

Model :318i

Engine: M44 4 cylinder

Power: 118 HP

Top speed: 206 km/h

Particular engine model production period: 1998 - 2001

Cheers

Emma

hey cheers thanks for the quick reply, i still yet have to have a good look over the car and see how it performs also can you tell me why the tuning brand "Breyton" is not as popular as others ;)

please keep the feedback coming in thanks very much :D

Edited by B.M.W

Could be a wise buy, with increasing gas prices, but if you don't wanna get smoked by petrol Pajeros and Patrols, I'd spend that $25k on an E36 M3. Probably get the same luxury features too.

Good to see someone whos interested in a manual E46 :thumb:

I drive a 2003 model of this car... and I have to say the E46 sedan is a very nice machine. The balance & handling is very good, especially with the M suspension upgrades. Great looking car too.

You may be disappointed with the power of this car, the pre-2002 models were 1.9L (as opposed to 2003-2004 2.0L) ... the chassis can handle a lot more 'corruption.' I find myself wanting at least an extra 50 bhp for mine.

Mine has been very reliable so far, though coming up on the expiry of the warranty & considering whether its worth the extra $$ to keep the BMW service plan going.

Let me know if theres anything specific I can help out with.

Could be a wise buy, with increasing gas prices, but if you don't wanna get smoked by petrol Pajeros and Patrols, I'd spend that $25k on an E36 M3. Probably get the same luxury features too.

Good to see someone whos interested in a manual E46 :thumb:

Listen to this guy.

I believe there was a very nice avus blue m3 for that on trademe.

Seriously, go with a more powerful E36, for the 'true' bmw driving experience.

Guest Andrew

And aside from the fact they want that money for a 7 year old car.

Its 5 grand too expensive - (seeing as it rocked out of Japan for 16 odd grand).

just got back from the dealer, the car was not what it cracked up to be the rear passenger floor carpet was very wet and well it was just a 318 with leather apart from the mags and clear corner etc nothing special.

but im still on the look out for a e46 may consider a e36 so if any1 had one in mind please pm me thanks

oh ok, yeah might pay to have a look for the buyers guides on those. Find out where the common loopholes are, like checking bottom of boot for water, rubbers around windows etc etc.

I've had a look for you without taking into consideration your needs:

My criteria was just a nice 4 door E46 in manual in a nice colour with reasonable km's and nice body for under $30,000 - if you could elaborate on what your looking for more inparticular that'd be helpful.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction...92&key=25511639

2. http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction...90&key=25511639

3. http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction...17&key=25511639

Remember though, styling doesnt necessarly have to start at hte dealer, its cool if you personalise your ride after your've bought it to your own liking. So stockers arent so bad. Also take into consideration that buying cheap doesnt necessarly mean you get quality, so be open to spending a couple of grand more than your budget if you want something decent.

a couple of E36 M3's to have a look at while your at it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction...69&key=25513442

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction...26&key=25513442

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction...61&key=25513442

Edited by E30stz

and probably ten X more expensive for parts, servicing, insurance

i dont disagree, but some people arent fussed by such things as power and badassness

Link doesnt work..

When they mean motorsport, they mean bodykit and possibly suspension/wheels/interior trim.

If i were you, i would not get anything lower than a 325. Nothing like a straight six. 318 will keep you yearning for more power...

Link doesnt work..

When they mean motorsport, they mean bodykit and possibly suspension/wheels/interior trim.

If i were you, i would not get anything lower than a 325. Nothing like a straight six. 318 will keep you yearning for more power...

Link: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...on-31993768.htm or just type 31993768 into trademe search box.

Although 318's are good for the right people, especailly if it just a runabout car or maybe it is just your pride and joy/everydayer

For the money your going to spend, it'd make much better sense to buy the top-of-the-line E36 than the base E46, that is, earlier M3 3.0 or 3.2 vs later 318 1.8

But like Gus said its going to cost more to insure etc.

And abut that E46, you need to think seriously about those 19" wheels as Dad found out yesterday that the rear tires are past their best before date on the E39 (18" MTECHS) And continetals were going to cost $890+gst each.

But then he later found out that other tires at cost price at BMW were going to be $560 each +gst, that is still a helluva lot of money.

Otherwise that E46 seems ok. Its MTECH stuff too presumebly kit, steering wheel, suspension, wheels etc.

Edited by BMW POWER

Nice... Obviously if he is wanting E46 318 he has his reasons, so i think it is pointless telling him to get late E36 M3 or the likes ....

If i had to buy a car i can't buy an M3 because i can't get insurance, i can get E46 320i or below ... maybe he's in the same situation... would rather buy a car he can insure ...

COntinetals are expensive but aren't good bang for bucks .. there are a lot of tires that are of equivalent quality and performance and costs a lot less than continentals.

For the money your going to spend, it'd make much better sense to buy the top-of-the-line E36 than the base E46, that is, earlier M3 3.0 or 3.2 vs later 318 1.8

I disagree. If you primary motivation in buying a car is horsepower, then perhaps you shouldn't be buying a BMW... theres plenty of Skylines out there.

Bear in mind that prices at a dealer go *down* from sticker price, whereas prices on Auction go up on bid. I'd expect most of those auctions to get closer to $40k if they were decent cars.

hey guys well im back once again, i found yet another mint condition e46 318i its manual wine red with black leather i had a test drive and found it to be lacking in the performance side of things other than that its was very nice.....here's the problem im after a e46 manual but have found the 318's are well in my price range and are cheap for insurance my question is what do ya think about going turbo or supercharged

thanks once for ya help

Going to be a LOT more expensive than you're gonna get power out of.

Consider a 325 E46, or going down the E36's with higher specs. Seriously, drive a decent 6 cylinder bmw with sports pckg, and see what youre missing.

Yeah, i agree.

As soon as you go to 'charging' be means of turbo or super, your looking for trouble unless you know what you doing or willing to pay someone quite a large sum to do it. Insurance will proberly refuse, resale may be hard.

Either go out of your price range for a E46 and get a 325, 330 or something to suit your 'power needs'

or

Look for an E36, you can get a MINT E36 M3 for under 30k.