Sign in to follow this  
lidistick

AA Batteries - any good?

Hi guys,

The E39 still has the original BMW battery. It's 11 years old and is having the occasional difficulty with cold mornings. I've sat it on the trickle charger overnight and it's come right but I do wonder if it's close to the end of its life.

AA have quoted a price for a 3662 battery for $275.

I can't find an equivalent in repco or super cheap.

Any recommendations? Is the AA battery ok?

Hi guys,

The E39 still has the original BMW battery. It's 11 years old and is having the occasional difficulty with cold mornings. I've sat it on the trickle charger overnight and it's come right but I do wonder if it's close to the end of its life.

AA have quoted a price for a 3662 battery for $275.

I can't find an equivalent in repco or super cheap.

Any recommendations? Is the AA battery ok?

11 years is pretty good for a bmw battery, especially in a 5er. what chemical is the battery made from e.g. calcium, nickel etc.

You would be looking for a DIN55 or DIN66 battery - usually around $200-$300 for a proper one

Don't go buying a $120 Supercheapauto one that will crap out after a year; AA have been good in my experience or pick from one of the other major brands

You would be looking for a DIN55 or DIN66 battery - usually around $200-$300 for a proper one

Don't go buying a $120 Supercheapauto one that will crap out after a year; AA have been good in my experience or pick from one of the other major brands

Wrong on both counts for battery. Way too small! It is a DIN 88 or 92 (the 88/92 depending on brand)

Marcus I Don't know the AA conversion equivelent number to ones above as to whether the number you quote is comparable. You need to compare apples with apples though.

I also don't overly rate AA batteries, that said, none we get here are the quality of the OEM Varta

Personally I would recommend HCB Endurant as a good replacement. Can help if you wish.

10/11/12 years is about the norm for OEM batteries, mine was 11, as have been a few others I have been involved with. I took a 14 yr old out of an E36 a couple of years back.

i got a hella for the e34 .I think i inquired about a din 66 but after looking at some info he had and then checkin the owners manual i got a bigger one.I left the park lights on all day once and it still started!

Wrong on both counts for battery. Way too small! It is a DIN 88 or 92 (the 88/92 depending on brand)

Marcus I Don't know the AA conversion equivelent number to ones above as to whether the number you quote is comparable. You need to compare apples with apples though.

I also don't overly rate AA batteries, that said, none we get here are the quality of the OEM Varta

Personally I would recommend HCB Endurant as a good replacement. Can help if you wish.

10/11/12 years is about the norm for OEM batteries, mine was 11, as have been a few others I have been involved with. I took a 14 yr old out of an E36 a couple of years back.

Sorry just assumed they use the same as the 3 series, but definitely needs a DIN type battery with the flush terminals

Sorry just assumed they use the same as the 3 series, but definitely needs a DIN type battery with the flush terminals

my e34 had a din 66 which is nearly twice as big as most modern car battries AND it had a 25 amp hour(big motorcycle battery size) auxilary battery in the boot

^^^^^ Yep correct for the E34, the high spec E39 though (& 3's for that matter) has much more electrical demand with all the bells/whistles - car draws around 5 amps on acc position.

^^^^^ Yep correct for the E34, the high spec E39 though (& 3's for that matter) has much more electrical demand with all the bells/whistles - car draws around 5 amps on acc position.

Yes i know just saying get the recomended size!

Hey Grant.

Will take you up on the offer. :)

Car is fine after charging overnight on the trickle charger. Pretty awesome OEM batteries tho.

Cheers.

my e34 had a din 66 which is nearly twice as big as most modern car battries AND it had a 25 amp hour(big motorcycle battery size) auxilary battery in the boot

I want that Extra battery setup!

I didn't know anything about that either! might be worth looking into, I have a 5 Farad capacitor (yes 5Farads lol) but more juice is always good. i have a brand new 750iL battery in my E34, was the biggest one they stocked lol, but my stereo still sucks it dry in 10 minutes when just a bit below a normal listening level. but for most stock cars would be more than ample

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

i dont know why or which option was the "trigger" point for the auxillary attery,it sat behind the lh boot liner,looking into the boot.

The cars that have that option have a slightly different boot liner setup.The previous owner of my car didnt know it had an aux battery

200 KATALYSATOR - ENTFALL (no catalytctic converter)

209 LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (25%)

226 SPORTS SUSPENSION SETTINGS

291 BMW LM SCHMIEDERAD/KREUZSPEICH (alloy wheels)

302 ALARM SYSTEM

320 MODEL DESIGNATION, DELETION (no model badge)

335 M TECHNIC SPORTPAKET (mtech body kit, front spoiler skirts,rear wing, aero rear bumper cover)

339 SATIN CHROME (matt black finish around windows instead of chrome)

401 SLIDING/VENT ROOF, ELECTRIC

458 SEAT ADJUSTMENT, ELECTRIC. F DRIVER/PASS

481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

498 HEADRESTS IN REAR, MECHANIC. ADJUSTABLE

500 HEADLIGHT WASHER SYS/INTENSIVE CLEANING

534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING

548 SPEEDOMETER WITH KILOMETER READING

560 CO-PILOTS IN RR COMPARTMENT (reading lamps in rear )

563 BEL.MAKE-UP SPIEGEL (make up mirrors(or lights for make up mirror)

571 BOOSTED POWER SUPPLY (140 w alternator)

676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM

687 RADIO PREPARATION

708 M-SPORT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL II

806 Neuseeland Ausfuehrung

847 erweiterter Kabelbaum

850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT

925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

you can get a humougous capacity battery which will fit tin the same space as the std battery for an e34.

Edited by kiwi535