Sign in to follow this  
Arma

New owner of e39

Hi guys and gals,

Just joined, as I recently got a e39 520i 2001 with the m54b22 engine. I'm based in Auckland. It's my first BMW in NZ and wanted to get something with a relatively small engine so I can give it away to my parents when they move back to NZ next year, by then which I'll be getting something with a bit more kick hopefully (330i, 530i, 335i twin ts, we'll see). The car was in pretty good condition - though the electronic display on the dashboard seems to be a little corrupted in some places (numbers show jumbled up :P), will have to see if it's possible/worth getting that fixed. Been driving it around a lot lately and really liking it, but don't think the 2.2L will cut it for me forever. :)

Either way, I may look into applying some small mods to this one - won't be able to resist - but nothing too crazy. Still need to figure out whether parts are worth importing here, or whether there are specific shops that sell BMW parts for not-so-ridiculous prices. Will do some research.

Anyway, here are some photos, (edit: resized photos): :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Arma

Welcome. Nice looking car - not mad about the colour but the painted door trim looks so good compared to black plastic and the interior looks mint.

Any plans to modify in any way?

Know what you mean regarding the 2.2L engine. I test drove a few before I bought mine. They're very smooth to drive but a bit slow and steady. I bought a 2.8 which has a bit more grunt and is quick enough for the kind of usage mine gets - it also cruises beautifully on the motorway (though feels like it would be happier cruising at 130-140kmh rather 100!!) but I'm not-so-secretly yearning for an E39 M5!

Edited by jeffbebe

Thanks guys :)

Any plans to modify in any way?

I've still been thinking - even considered forced induction, but on a 520i won't be worth spending money adding SC or turbos. Wanted to get some new mag wheels too, although bigger wheels might be a bit annoying especially with the already alarming weight to power ratio of a 520i. I should make up a list - interested in seeing if I can get a hold of any good eisenmann sport exhausts for e39 as well, and maybe some m sport front n rear bumpers. Won't jump right into these yet though - will live with stock for a couple months beforehand. Just bought a house, so scared to touch my wallet for at least a month :D.

Edited by Arma