Sign in to follow this  
Rip_it_up

Break pads and plates

Hey guys, ive just bought a 1993 e36 bmw, 1.8 auto, 150,000ks its had a respray quite recently so the paint work is mint (silver), its been lowered, got just standard bmw wheels at the mo, got tints, mp3 head deck, subs etc etc, its in really good condition, except that it needs new front break pads and most likely plates aswell as they are so worn that i probably cant machine the plates, was just wondering what sort of cost i would be looking at, would it be best to get plates second hand of tradme etc? i dont know to much about bmws, all i know is that parts are expensive, so anyone have any ideas on what it would cost for break pads etc, can you get them from repco or whateva or do you have to get them from bmw? also one other question whats the stud pattern for bmw wheels? e36 shape, anyone know? hope i dont sound like to much of a nob :D cheers guys

I'd buy the BMW discs from BMW (are you a BMW car club member?, you'll get 10% off). They are good discs.

Pads, I guess get them from wherever. If you drive it hard a bit. Look at upgrading. Call Steve at 0800 racebrakes. Otherwise the BMW ones are ok too.

Don't go cheap on the brake parts. They may save your life.

www.bmwcc.org.nz, $65 per annum. Well worth the money. And we don't care what you drive, just come along and enjoy it.

See the relevant region page on the site (as I've no idea where you are).

Pads, couldn't answer either. My Mintex 1166, $750 for a set of 4, but they are a lot larger than yours.

Call the dealer and 0800 race brakes and get quotes from both of them.