Sign in to follow this  
NiceRide

E46 316ti Compact

Hi,

I had a 1985 323i for 10 years and it took me 250,000km with never opening the engine, same clutch.

I have finally got myself another BMW but this time it's a 2004 E46 Compact which I got for a good price ($10.5k) with 84,000km on the clock. It's showing some signs of use but it's a very nice ride.

I want to get to know my ride well enough to care for it and prolong its life and have started by getting the Hayes manual and looking at what a modern car looks like under the hood, although looking under the car is not easy without a car hoist.

It took me a whole Sunday afternoon to change the oil because I have a single garage, a trolley jack and two trestles to get the car up high enough to get under it.

While there I noticed a messy sump gasket but can't see where the oil is coming from other than from the sump. It doesn't drip, but I want to clean it all off and then trace where it's coming from.

Is there any place on the North Shore that hires out time for a car hoist?

Suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Tony