Sign in to follow this  
Sudo

what do you guys think

I'm looking at getting a new car, compact's not really my taste.

Looking at either a 328i or a 525i, both 95-98 shape.

Which would you guys reccomend as a cruiser car? I want a car that can pack a punch when needed, but I mainly want something that will ride nice and comfortable, and have some luxury.

328 is going to have a lot more power than a 525, as the 5 will be heavier, less torque.

Drive both. 328 will be more sportscar (even more if its a coupe) and the 525 will be more of a cruiser, due to weight, doors and suspension.

Id take a 328.

You won't get a 96+ 5 series (above 520i with decent options that is) with 16k, that I can tell you for free. Infact i don't even think you can get a most basic E39 for that.. tell me if i am wrong.

So, in saying that, you said a 95-98, and 95 is the final year for E34. For 16k you're likely to get a good 535 or a very good 525.. Cains 540 6 spd he reckons is valued at around 20-25k. But his is a totally different story.

So a E34 535 maybe if thats your type of thing..

Otherwise an E36 328 would be cool, perhaps you could get a 95 or 96 coupe for 16k.

Emma.

Yeah I know, i'll be limited with that budget.

I'll be importing, so it'll be a bit cheaper. I have awhile to choose, I just got a job delivering pizzas, so i'll be selling the compact and getting something that I can run around in and then once I get a bit of money buy a new car.

Buy Kiwi 535's E34 M535, see Brent for one of his collection.

I'd get the 328 for all round fun. The E36 (in good condition) is a car with great balance, enough horsepower and torque. You can then play with it as you get money.

A 5 series is always better than a 3 series for cruising. 4 people in a 3 series look stupid on a road trip.

You just missed a mint E36 318iS for about $11k.

There was a black E34 540 on trademe not long ago for 11k. You will get a good one for 16k.

E38 740is are cheap now, and I've seen quite a few advertised for less than 16.

Or theres the E32 750iL, which will put anything mentioned here to shame... down the strip :ph34r: :mosh:

Bring along that 750. It has at least 300kg more weight and no more horsepower or torque (as standard).

I'll line up next to it. You name the bet it can beat me!

Possible cars mentioned in this thread -_-

Yours is too expensive ;)

BTW, the 750s have 400nm at 1000rpm I read :mosh: Peak is 450 iirc.

Haha, 750 would be mean.

But i'm only 16, don't need a power horse.

Anyway, like I said i've got a few months to decide. So I may even keep the Compact, I'm gettign some clear indicators(front, and rear indicator only ,not those gay clear brake lights).

Thinking of respraying it black, but respraying is expensive and a bloody pain in the ass.

I know, I can never make up my mind.

Which is why I asked your guys opinion.

And since it's dads money(unless I save for 1+ year which I intend to do) he gets the final say. He keeps telling me I need to sell the Ti and get a different car to use for work, but none of the cars I put to him he agrees on.

Dude, i did the pizza thing for a while and I used my car. Sort of good and bad at the same time. Made the job so much more fun but put lots of miles on and used way more gas than something like a barina would have.

If I was you, go and get a small, shitty shopping trolley that runs on the smell of an oily rag and just rape it. You'll make more money cos you'll spend soooo much less on gas and it means when you buy a car you really like you wont have to take your job into consideration. Even after you take the extra insurance and rego into account I'm sure you'll come out better off than using some luxo barge. even stuff like tires and parts are way cheaper on a shitta.

Who you driving for BTW? Hope not dominos or pizza hut, waste of time IMO. Go drive for Hell, they pay hourly rate and per delivery.

You could just NOT do the pizza thing, and work at an actual restaurant?

Or is there some good money in pizza delivery that i havent heard of...?

Yes, Domino's :mellow:

$7.60 an hour plus $1.50 an hour, I applyed for another job at a glass fitting place, which is more hours, so if I get it I will be leaving Domino's.

Yeah, I will be getting some run around car for the next few months(if I don't get the glass fitting job).

Dnz- Actually is quite good money.

When I left my shop I was on $10 an hour + $2 per delivery + tips. Could easily make $11/$12 an hour after tax and petrol had been paid for. Work also paid for my insurance (around $350 a year) oh, and pizza when you finished for the night.

Edited by petone

You'd make the same at a restaurant, minus the wear and tear of running errands in your car all night,...

Didn't know restrauants paid that well, your right about the wear on the car though.

Still good fun getting paid to drive round all night, always loved getting the ones up in the hills, not great gas/money wise but the drive more than made up for it.

Just b glad you're delivering pizza in NZ - I was just over the ditch and we ordered pizza's 15mins (if you drive like a pizza boy) from the pizza place. $20 for two large pizzas delivered - they can't be making ANY money - then it was late and the guy offered to knock $5 off. I felt so sorry for him I paid him anyway.

I mean the guy had to do a round trip of say 40 mins by the time he drove each way, parked and then ran all over the hotel looking for my room, then only wanted a miserable $15 for two large pizzas!!!!!!!!!! That was dominos too. And the guy on the phone said it would only be $10 if we were in the central city area instead of 15 mins away - HOW THE HELL DO THEY MAKE MONEY????

Anywho - on topic - agreed, get an ecenomical jappa for the delivery job. You won't mind so much if you have to give it heaps to make extra deliveries, you won't mind if some other dope backs into it outside the pizza place, and you can toss it in a year and get something properly decent.

Why don't you look and an E30 325 or an E30 318iS then. Both are cheap and they go well.

This one is on the BMWCC website. No idea if it has sold.

540 has 400Nm of torque stock also. So you are paying for more trouble. Higher number of components, lower MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures).

If you look at, a custom piston at $200 each, $800 for a 4 cylinder, $1600 for my car, $2400 for a V12. Conrods, valves, crank etc. Good reasons not to buy a V12, especially as they are not more powerful in either HP or Torque.

post-2-1122510082.jpg

540 has 400Nm of torque stock also. So you are paying for more trouble. Higher number of components, lower MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures).

If you look at, a custom piston at $200 each, $800 for a 4 cylinder, $1600 for my car, $2400 for a V12. Conrods, valves, crank etc. Good reasons not to buy a V12, especially as they are not more powerful in either HP or Torque.

Yea, the reason why i took a 560 over one, but dreams are free haha.

Gotta agree on the cheap Jappa tho. You wont have to drive around with the windows down all day because of the smell pizza, or any fast food leaves in the car :puke: You could even get a cheap beaten up E30 318 for the job.