Sign in to follow this  
Laydeekrunk

E36 steering rack joint replacement

Failed WOF because of the steering system. steering wheel has been squeeling (sounds like a spring being pulled apart like on a trampoline) when turning left and it won't self centre itself. It's not the power steering fluid, had that flushed out, topped up with fluids and pressure checked by a mechanic who replaced the lid because the liquid was seeping out. That has since stopped leaking. replaced the steering rack, only to find out the arms were bent? Left side of steering rack has excess play in it so I had to get a new joint or arm for the left side. (did not replace whole steering rack a second time round) can anyone tell me why this would happen? I have to get the mechanic to fit the arm and do a wheel alignment.

Failed WOF because of the steering system. steering wheel has been squeeling (sounds like a spring being pulled apart like on a trampoline) when turning left and it won't self centre itself. It's not the power steering fluid, had that flushed out, topped up with fluids and pressure checked by a mechanic who replaced the lid because the liquid was seeping out. That has since stopped leaking. replaced the steering rack, only to find out the arms were bent? Left side of steering rack has excess play in it so I had to get a new joint or arm for the left side. (did not replace whole steering rack a second time round) can anyone tell me why this would happen? I have to get the mechanic to fit the arm and do a wheel alignment.

"(sounds like a spring being pulled apart like on a trampoline) when turning left and it won't self centre itself. "

could be a seized tophat bearing issue, the strut spring will be twisting

get it checked to confirm tho