Sign in to follow this  
wolfman

Safe to unplug/remove Jap nav unit?

Just wondering - have just replaced the CD Changer for a DICE box, and decided to take out the Jap DVD nav unit that sits above it as its useless (E39 Touring) is this ok to do or will the car throw up a bunch of errors about it? (Currently has battery disconnected)

Nope that kills the TV. Must need it for pass thru. Can anyone tell me if there is an adaptor to get round this problem, or does it require a bit of home electronics?

If you unplug it and turn the car on straight away the monitor will be blank.

Disconnect it, throw it in the bin.....

Wait unit the car goes to sleep, about 20 mins depending on car.

When the system starts again it will see the car has no Nav and use the graphics in the tv tuner module.

If you unplug it and turn the car on straight away the monitor will be blank.

Disconnect it, throw it in the bin.....

Wait unit the car goes to sleep, about 20 mins depending on car.

When the system starts again it will see the car has no Nav and use the graphics in the tv tuner module.

Hmm it was unplugged for over an hour - do you mean the little nav box under the middle part of the boot as well or just the DVD ROM bit?

Hmm it was unplugged for over an hour - do you mean the little nav box under the middle part of the boot as well or just the DVD ROM bit?

You can bin that gps box too.

The car must "go to sleep". No activity at all, opening the door/boot etc will keep it awake..

Best to close it up and lock it...

Take the whole black plastic box that the Nav drive sits in off also, it will give you better boot space!

Nope that kills the TV. Must need it for pass thru. Can anyone tell me if there is an adaptor to get round this problem, or does it require a bit of home electronics?

No it doesn't. You can unplug and discard the Jap nav at any time.

At next vehicle re-boot, the video module will notice the Jap nav is no longer present and will take over generating the graphics.

You just have to wait for reboot (key off, close and lock car, wait 15 minutes....)

OK thanks will give it a go on the weekend. I think I didn't give it enough time from when I reconnected the battery.