Sign in to follow this  
rusdvl

Help with front rotor replacement E39

Hi,

I purchased front and rear brake rotors (drilled and slotted) for my E39 540i 2000 model on ebay. They finally arrived and today I tried to replace the front ones. I took off the brake pads and tried to take off the rotor, but for the life of me, everything I did... the rotor just would not budge. It looks like the rotor is part of the whole car... like it doesn't come off.... like it is welded on. Hit it with a hammer for 30 minutes straight... and nothing.

Anyone know any tricks? Could it just have rusted solid on? Never encountered anything like that... We replaced the brake rotors on my dads S500 Merc and they came of super easy... and his one has done a fair bit more than my bimmer.

Cheers

Lever with a pry bar from behind the rotor, CRC freeze penetrate, or a trusty blow torch, or a combination of the three if really tough. Put some copper anti-seize behind the new ones once you've got em off.