Sign in to follow this  
bilbo

Zf manual gboxes?

Just wondering if there is a common/standard zf manual 5 speeder

As I cannot locate any info on the web about manual zf gearboxes. Keep getting refrences to zf automatic 5speed!

thanks

Some E30. E28 and E34's came with 5 speed manual ZF's.

Yes got one in my 328 also had one in my 528,

E36 M3 is the same gearbox as the E36 328 and E39 528 wxcept 528 has longer shift mech

What do you need to know?

I am attempting a manual swap this weekend, I have a 1993 e36 german assembled 320i fitted with an m50b20 engine.

For the conversion I have a choice of either a getrag220 with the duel mass flywheel, but that gbox does have play in the output shaft approx 3mm slop..

And then I have a ZF with a solid flywheel an no play, but strangely the zf isn't an exact match to the back of the engine, not all bolts line up.. explained further down.

also I don't know what starter motor to buy?

I have been told that the one from my e36 m50b20 will not fit as it was mated to an auto (jatco) and that the ZF ringgear wont accept it.

And aside from that, on the Zf g/box only the big main bolts will lign up to the m50b20 engine..

I have made sure that the g/box and engine are correctly mated, and that there is no gap between the two.

sadly for me I just dont know enough about the either of them, finding any real info has been really really hard so far.

I have been told that getrags are a good box and are strong.. and because it will match that I should ues it slop and all, and then I remember it has a duel mass wheel that I am not sure on at all..

and so since I have been told zf's are better and that it also has a solid flywheel and good clutch I thought it made sence to fit that instead. Am I making a mistake??

I really need good sound advice to know what is the best path to take do I go getrag, or ZF and if I go zf what starter will fit it, and will I need to do anything other than bolt it up and plug it in?

Thanks to all wo have been helping me so far, youve all been really great

Edited by bilbo