Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Help from someone on North Shore

Is there anyone who can check out a couple of mufflers for me on the North Shore ?

Beers/renumeration will be forth coming obviously.

Basically he says he has cleaned up the 'surface' rust and I want to make sure its only surface and not all the way through.

So if there is someone who can help can you please PM me.

Also does anyone know how much it would to get a pair of mufflers down to Wellington ?

Many thanks.

MAYBE - .. but I don't have a spare day till next monday?

Andrew that would be great, but if anyone else can make it some time this week Id appreciate hearing from you. Im off out to measure my diameters now !

Here's a couple of pictures of what Im looking at. To me it looks like the tips are on sideways, not only is the Remus badging on the side and not the top but it really accentuates the 'staggered' look of the tips.

Am I seeing things or do you all agree ?

One

Two

Three

Are the tips easily rotated ?

Yeah, I agree Martyn, they are on sideways. If they were made intentionally like that, the Remus picture would be on the top.

But in saying that, on each pair of tips, one is shorter than the other, for the whole look/design of the exhausts, so its either been done like that aftermarket, eg not done originally Remus, or remus did it like that to be random. Just my 2c. I would do a goodle image on remus exhausts, or find out more info.

Looks like nice exhausts BTW.

I might be able to make it. Where are they exactly?

They don't look like genuine Remus though, just Remus tips on some other box.

Here are the real E38 pipes.

You can get hold of me on 0275 627 476 or cain.chapman@draeger.com

Cheers. I need an excuse to go and visit Als Mufflers about my next mods.

post-2-1122974232.gif

I might be able to make it. Where are they exactly?

They don't look like genuine Remus though, just Remus tips on some other box.

Here are the real E38 pipes.

You can get hold of me on 0275 627 476 or cain.chapman@draeger.com

Cheers. I need an excuse to go and visit Als Mufflers about my next mods.

Thanks Cain,

Im also not that convinced that they are genuine now Ive spent a few hours on the web.

Ive so far not seen a single Remus muffler thats been square, they all have rounded edges.

Ill ask the guy for some more info but for now I think Ill hold off.

Let me know how you get on with Al's mufflers though, Im keen to look at a few options as it seems the likes of Remus, Eisenmann etc only come around once in a blue moon :(

Contact Retro Products, they are the Remus distributor in NZ.

I might see if I can stop by and get some pricing on bits from them.

OK Martyyn

I stoped in at Retro Products, they are looking into bits for me from Austria.

Yours are $1,205 + GST each new. With quite a lead time.

Great thanks Cain...looks like I will be saving my pennies !

Ive been chatting with this guy a little tonight. It appears that they are genuine, the 850 muffler tips were put on sideways to sit with the rear skirt better.

He has also replied with the following when I asked about the inlet being 2" and my exhaust being 2.25", does this make sense to anyone, I know fcuk all about this sort of thing....

I would not be suprised if your piping is 2.25".

I think Remus made the inlet at 2" to retain some back pressure (and also to minimise noise) as the flow of the muffler is greater than the factory muffler.

The higher flow muffler with slighly reduced piping diameter will still provide you with a better overall flow over the factory setup. It is important to maintain some back pressure so you will not lose torque.

In regard to fitting there should be no issues since the piping will connect to the resonator's flange. As long as an identicle flange (by re-using the same flange or new ones) it will bolt direct.

One of my friend has a 1996 740i with M Sport front bumper and side skirts has Eissenmann exhaust (twin

mufflers) on his car which also has 2" piping. He was lucky the car came with Eissenmann mufflers.

----

Now Ive spoken to the guy he says is on the North Shore about his Eissenmann exhaust and I know thats genuine.

What do you guys think, shall I give them a go ?

The short answer is Yes.

I forgot to mention, they did have a box there that looked like those ones you showed. The guy there reckoned a complete exhaust system on a car like ours would gain another 15-20kW.