Sign in to follow this  
tobester

Recommendations on 4" Front components for an E28?

Have the premium audio option, a decent head unit and a 4x25W amp, which i could be talked into upgrading. Currently the 5 1/4 rear shelf components outrun the front 4"ers and theres too much pinging treble, or a lack of mid/bass, so i have disconnected the rear tweeters.

I know the standard fronts are 4x6", but I'm not really keen on ovals. Also not really keen to cut up the doors or the footwells. Will reuse the door tweeter pods.

Prefer good sound to raw SPL. Surely E28 and E30 owners have this thought all the time?

Focal and moral have great pedigree. I ran some soundstream sst4.0's 4 inch for rear fill in my e36 using the standard coupe ported speaker boxes. They sounded quite musical in their own right and can handle a reasonable amount of power. Mid base was lacking despite the ported box but wasn't too much of a problem due to front components and 10 inch sub.

I'd try and see if you can get a good 4x6 for the front as they will run lower than a 4 inch and pull the image forward as a result. 4 inch speakers usually roll off quickly below 100 hz so will need bass reinforcement from elsewhere. I ran 4x6s on my old e21 a while back and was pleased with the results. Boston made some good sounding speakers in this configuration a while back. Boston are getting out of car audio so the speakers are been sold off at budget speaker prices. Worth a look otherwise focal or moral in 4 inch would be my choice in that size.

Focal and moral have great pedigree. I ran some soundstream sst4.0's 4 inch for rear fill in my e36 using the standard coupe ported speaker boxes. They sounded quite musical in their own right and can handle a reasonable amount of power. Mid base was lacking despite the ported box but wasn't too much of a problem due to front components and 10 inch sub.

I'd try and see if you can get a good 4x6 for the front as they will run lower than a 4 inch and pull the image forward as a result. 4 inch speakers usually roll off quickly below 100 hz so will need bass reinforcement from elsewhere. I ran 4x6s on my old e21 a while back and was pleased with the results. Boston made some good sounding speakers in this configuration a while back. Boston are getting out of car audio so the speakers are been sold off at budget speaker prices. Worth a look otherwise focal or moral in 4 inch would be my choice in that size.

Thanks heaps for the feedback Neal. Were those Boston 4x6 coax or components?

In all honesty you're never going to get great sound out of 4" drivers so don't go spending big $$. I had some 4" Bostons in a Mitsi galant about 20+ years ago and they were ok but lacked midbass which is hardly surprising considering the cone size.

I agree with Neal. Go looking for 4x6 and components if possible

The Bostons were a two way , but I moded them with home made crossovers to roll off the mid bass to stop it competing with the lower range of the tweeter. It made a small but noticable difference.