Sign in to follow this  
topless

Re-registering E30

Was keeping a close watch on this 325 on TradeMe...

M325i

While trying to contact the seller, I decided to contact Land Transport NZ and find out what was involved in getting a vehicle re-registered as I hadn't tried to do this before.

Spoke to several nice helpful ladies there and eventually was told that the E30 models did not comply with the new frontal impact requirements, and that this would be a requirement for re-vinning, so the car would need to be brought up to this standard before it could be re-registered, despite the fact that it had previously been registered. Obviously this would be an expensive, if not impossible thing to do.... so makes this car only good for parts.. :wacko:

This info seems to be at odds with what I had been told before by other people... ie you wouldn't be able to vin a freshly imported E30 but would be able to re-vin a previously registered E30.

Anybody been down this road recently????

Guest Andrew

OK - If it was an import. You can't comply it.

You can comply previously registered cars.

Has NZ plates on it, so it looks like it has been registered. So it shouldn't be a major.

Registration expired less than two years ago. all youll have to do is pay the reg back to when it expired so thatll cost $400ish.

Wont need revinned aslong as its done within the next couple of months

Registration expired less than two years ago. all youll have to do is pay the reg back to when it expired so thatll cost $400ish.

Looks like I'm going to be calling those ladies again.... not what they told me today. Said it definitely needed re-vinning. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

As long as you can provide proof it's been on NZ roads and registered before you shouldn't have to do anything regarding the vin.

Guest Andrew

no thats not possible -

If you don't pay your rego for a year your car gets taken of the network and needs to be re complied.

Go see your local compliance center - LTSA can't help you.