Sign in to follow this  
Turning_Point

Big Bore Exhaust = No

you must be sick of me now haha.

okay so the previous owner installed a big bore exhaust (cardinal sin) and it sounds like sh*t, low revs, but sounds reallllly nice hi revs but the car is still slow, just makes noise.

so i was wondering on recomendations on what i can do, i love the tip thats there, its subtle and compliments the car nicely so i want to keep that but get rid of the droney noise. apparntly my muffler has been opened up for the noise.

so could i get a (cheap replacement) muffler, weld up the muffler that is there now or what?

thanks

91 e36 318i

What's your engine and what's your exhaust setup, is it a single pipe from the manifold straight through to the rear muffler or is there a cat or something in the middle?

If it's too loud for your liking you'll probably have replace the muffler with something better, the droning big bore noise would drive me insane.

From my experience, the 'droning' has been the culprit of no or a very shitty rear muffler.

Haven't had this on beamers, but from past customer cars and my own from YEARS ago, a rear muffler can either make or break a system sound wise.

Check this link for tech advise:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/sponsors.htm

EDIT: shitty system will always be shitty - I was meaning a good system that had a rear muffler implode or something to that effect.

Edited by 318is

yeah 1.8cc engine, 91.

strait through exhaust, no cat...replaced with a resonator i think.

yeah so new muffler?...any chance i culd just put a standard one on, im more after no sound...dont kare about any performance etc (i mean its a 318...performance is the last thing it can do) and how much am i looking at

cheers guys