Sign in to follow this  
BlowMyWhistle

Transmission switch?

Hi Y'all, I'm replacing the trans switch on my car, it's sticking again!

Fair enough I put a used one in it last time, this time, new and only $50 delivered, onya ebay!

But, how come some have different settings?

Mines goes 'S' 'E' $ * for snow? Doesn't snow much round these parts...

Seen some with an 'A', and an E34 I had 10 years ago had the 'S' & 'M' switches...

I'd dearly love an 'M' mode, * snow's not much use in a freaking desert!

I don't suppose it'd make a difference, buying a switch with an 'M' stead of a asterisk.

Can this be changed with the trans programme DME?

I'm looking at getting another one anyway. I asked once about getting one customised, but got dissed...

I have a problem with the gear shift, in 'E' it changes 1,2,3, just like that, and you're driving at 30k's in 3rd gear.

Also it ranges between solid lock and 4th or 5th and 4th? specially when you close behind another car, usually at about 80k's.

I usually drive around town in 'S' mode, it holds the gear a lot longer, which I prefer.

Won't change up when it's cold, til it hit's about 3k? Then jumps up to 2nd, after a minute it's fine.

Nobody seems to know much about transmissions, an I don't want anybody experimenting on it...

The German. (Peters Master Mechanic Rockingham) reckons he could tune it out, but I'm a bit reluctant to pay for theories...

Can anyone give me a clue? Is it the trans itself? In which case I'll get a 6 speed from the states!

Or just the DME? In which case I'll get a 6 speed from the states!

I can get a DME used, same numbers, but will it be snow or Manual?

I will do the 6 speed conversion, one day, but I'd like it to hold together for a bit longer, I'd hate to have to shell out $ for a repaired auto, given it'll take a while to get a Manual box from the US..

Thanks Y'all.

put the correct type in as the plugs /pins are different

I think only the early 4 speed automatic transmissions have the A/M/S switches.

the later 5 Speed autos have the E/S/*

the snow flake is like manual mode, it will always start off in second gear and will stay in second if you leave it in "2" or "3" or "4" but not "D" *it will change all the way up from second - 4th, I don't think it enters 5th, could be wrong.

Sports mode also won't enter 5th I don't think.

The modes are fairly useless to me anyway. I just leave it in E and drive.

when the transmission is "cold" it does enter a warm-up mode where it will hold gears out a bit longer so it can warm up.