Sign in to follow this  
Smac01

RFT on an E46

I'm looking at a set of E90 wheels that would look great on the E46 coupe.

They've got RFT mounted.

Is this a bad idea?

Keen to hear opinions.

Cheers

Are they OE E90 wheels? If they are you will find them very very heavy. Run-flat rims have an extra bead in them. If you can live with the extra weight and put normal tyres on it won't matter too much as you will hav ethe E46 spare.

AFAIK there is no such thing as "run flat rims." you can put run flat tyres or normal tyres on any rim as long as size fits. The E90 RFT sensor are incorporated with the brake ABS. It is not on the tire valve nor the wheel itself.

you can run the e90 rims on ur e46 with run flat tyres, but it will feel like going from factory 17" wheels to really really heavy 19" wheels.. the extra weight wont be great but hey, ur kind of bulletproof now!

imo just sell the rft and pick up some normal tyres

Edited by QUBE

The third generation runflat tyres weigh not much more than your standard road tyres. I have a set of Pirelli P Zero RFT on my mini and they weigh no more than the non RFT.

Whilst you can mount RFT tyres on normal rims there is definitely a thing as a runflat rim - it has an extra inner seal lip to keep the tyre on the rim when punctured - a runflat on a normal rim will simply come off the rim at speeds when deflated - put a RFT rim next to a standard rim and you'll see the difference.

Edited by M3_Power

Whilst you can mount RFT tyres on normal rims there is definitely a thing as a runflat rim - it has an extra inner seal lip to keep the tyre on the rim when punctured - a runflat on a normal rim will simply come off the rim at speeds when deflated - put a RFT rim next to a standard rim and you'll see the difference.

The extra inner seal or bead as I called it contributes to the extra weight as well. Try picking up an RFT rim and then a standard rim - you will definitely notice a difference!